Which mud guard for the front?

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have got a crud catcher on at present, but the amount of crud that hit me in the face and the water off the road was as if I didn't have anything on! Anyone use anything that's better?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    That's cos the front wheel throws stuff forwards and up, but then you ride into it as air resistance slows it down. Lots of folks have a little flexible catcher on the fork itself to reduce that effect.

Like this: http://www.ae7.com/components/com_virtu ... de030f.jpg or this: http://www.muckynutz.com/image/bender_fender.jpg
  • austy
    austy Posts: 5
    I too have a crud catcher on the front but pair it with a mucky nutz bender fender on the front, dead light and easy to install and keeps all the stuff that flies forwards and upwards out of my face. I never have any problems with a face full of crap.

PS think should be in buying advice forum not workshop and tech.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    These are pretty damn good at stopping the mud flick in the face. Easy to install, washable, and look good too.

And yea it should really be in the buying advice sub forum.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    austy wrote:
    I too have a crud catcher on the front but pair it with a mucky nutz bender fender on the front, dead light and easy to install and keeps all the stuff that flies forwards and upwards out of my face. I never have any problems with a face full of crap.
    i have a crud catcher on one bike and a mucky nutz on the other, with a crud, you can get crap in your face, not had any with the mucky nutz
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Hi guys,

Cheers for the replies, will look into one of them on payday, sorry its in the wrong place
  • ive an old downtube guard that came free with a mag back in the 90's and also a Bit of neoprene (old wetsuit) between the fork bridge and crown, pre old wetsuit was bits of old inner tube, pretty much every one has an old punctured tube in the shed, measure it up, cut it and open it out couple of cable ties and Sorted for Pence! stops 90% of the stuff getting into my face,

i also know of some peeps that have made their own mucknuts jobby form a coke type bottle, save you another £8 or so for something that 10 mins in the shed could knock up if you dont mind a tinker!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • The best thing to make your own Mucky Nutz from is a thin plastic folder from Staples or other stationary supplies chain. Its exactly the same material and means you can find virtually any colour, or clear plastic, or frosted colours.

Google image search Mucky Nutz Bender Fender for a template, print, lay over the plastic folder, trim. Voila.
    Use Zipties to fasten if you dont have velcro.

Every time i rip one i re-make my own.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • I also use the Mucky Nutz together with Crud catcher on the down tube .... never get any muck in my face with that combo.... works a treat .

:P
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Neo guard! eBay is the best place it works fine
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Recently binned my neoguard for the Marsh Guard(Mucky Nutz rip off); I reckon its better. Keeps more crap away from my face and lower headset bearing
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Not wanting to sound like an old boring fart coming across as the internet police with nothing better to say but I'm going to say it anyway.... but isn't this like the 3rd or 4th post about front mudguards in a month with all the same answers?
    The best thing to make your own Mucky Nutz from is a thin plastic folder from Staples or other stationary supplies chain. Its exactly the same material and means you can find virtually any colour, or clear plastic, or frosted colours.

Google image search Mucky Nutz Bender Fender for a template, print, lay over the plastic folder, trim. Voila.

However to contradict myself, good idea Priory, now I can have a hello kitty mud guard :D
  • The best thing to make your own Mucky Nutz from is a thin plastic folder from Staples or other stationary supplies chain. Its exactly the same material and means you can find virtually any colour, or clear plastic, or frosted colours.

Who the hell is THAT tight that they'd rather go to all that trouble just to avoid paying £8

Plus, if they're ripping that often, the quality is clearly lacking anyway.

I swear to god, some people are just batshit crazy.
  • Why pay £6 for something you can knock up from a pop bottle in a couple of minutes!
    Some people don't mind throwing money at things, others like to improvise!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • arigold
    arigold Posts: 175
    Don't bother...mud is part of the fun :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you actually want to stop the mud, get something like a Shockboard. Bit funny looking and the mounting hardware is useless (couple of cable ties does a proper job) but nothing else gets close.

my bikes mostly have Muckynuts on them all year, they're very effective considering how small they are and well worth it even in summer.

Mud might be part of the fun but eyes full of mud isn't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Mud might be part of the fun but eyes full of mud isn't.

Not just the mud either is it. Rather not have a face full of sheep/horse/dog turd either.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why pay £6 for something you can knock up from a pop bottle in a couple of minutes!
    When it's a nice cheap product that actually works well, I don't mind giving them a bit of support.
    Plus it has a funny name.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Why pay £6 for something you can knock up from a pop bottle in a couple of minutes!
    When it's a nice cheap product that actually works well, I don't mind giving them a bit of support.
    Plus it has a funny name.

Plus, he wasn't talking about knocking one together from a pop bottle in a couple of minutes (which look gash and are often brittle and ill-fitting anyway), he was talking about going out, buying a plastic wallet from an office supply store, printing off a template, cutting it all down then fitting with either zip ties or velcro. By the time you've done all that, and paid for it all, you may as well have just gone onto the muckynutz site, and given them £6 to sort it out for you and send it to you. For the sake of the £2 you'll save your time would be better spent on other things, like arguing with people on a forum. :lol: