Dent in downtube, how bad?

JoeeButler
JoeeButler Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've come across a nice Commencal on the Pinkbike Buy/Sell, but there's quite a large dent in the downtube of the frame (as shown in the pictures I've attached). According to the owner it happened on an uplift and it bounced against the van or whatever it was being carried up on.

How serious is it, and should I risk buying the bike? It's at quite a decent price, but I suppose it's low because of this damage.

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Another pic

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You would probably get away with it but for me personally as I dont have a spare face and teeth handy for if the bike folds up I would say no.

If you need to ask I think you already know its not for you.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    You would probably get away with it but for me personally as I dont have a spare face and teeth handy for if the bike folds up I would say no.

If you need to ask I think you already know its not for you.

So you would say it isn't worth the risk? The main reason I'm asking really is if it's worth paying a lot of money for what is potentially a bike with a frame that's on its way out.
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    The fact your even asking your-self this question, should make the decision for you........... would you buy a TV with a cracked screen?
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • MTBUK wrote:
    The fact your even asking your-self this question, should make the decision for you........... would you buy a TV with a cracked screen?

If I'm honest with you mate I haven't been riding mountain bikes for a long time at all, I'd like to hear from someone with more experience. I'm prepared to take a compromise for a nice price, I just wanted to see what the more experienced riders on this forum thought about the extent of the damage. e.g. Is it a small, cosmetic dent that isn't really anything to worry about, or is it a severe, ruined frame that would be absolutely stupid to even consider riding on?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The frame looks slightly buckled too. I wouldn't.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Its not just a dent though now I have had a good look the downtube looks bent and it looks like there is a crease in the paintwork. Unless those are just flaws in the pics I wouldnt walk away from it I would run like mad away from it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks guys. Appreciate the help!
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    supersonic wrote:
    The frame looks slightly buckled too. I wouldn't.

i agree - there is folding and it looks buckled.
    I'd avoid!! Unless you have free treatment at BUPA and enjoy pain(plus have a load of cash for a new bike)!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buy at right price and reframe it, sorted...... Ride that frame - no way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have been known to fall off now and then and a dent like that is a sign of a serious impact it's not just a little knock from another bike

Personally I wouldn't touch it
  • Guaranteed to have an inter-granular fault after an impact like that and will crack very very soon.

Walk away unless as stated it's cheap enough for piece parts and you can re-frame it!!!!
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I'd try get it at a cheap price and buy another frame... Bargain could be had!