Difference between Fox Evolution & Performance forks/shocks?

handsome devil
handsome devil Posts: 194
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am currently in the process of narrowing down some new bike options (mainly Zesty 314, 514 and 714) and would like to know the difference between the forks.

The 314 and 714 models are fitted with 150 CTD Fit Performance forks and the 514 is fitted with a 150 CTD Evolution fork. I know the Evolution series are open bath and the Performance series use the FIT cartridge but is there really much difference in how they actually perform? Or is is just more marketing bullshit?? There is typically not much useful info on the Fox website.

I currently have a F120RL fitted to my (soon to be departing) Stumpy which is open bath.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Links to two of the bikes in question;

http://welovelapierre.com/lapierre-zesty-314-2013

http://welovelapierre.com/lapierre-zesty-514-2013

The 714 uses the same fork as the 314 but uses a Performance shock rather than an Evolution variant as fitted on both 314 and 514.
2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For 2013 there are barely any performance or evo forks, though could be a lot OE.

The FIT only appears on the high end stuff, and is a lighter cartridge. There are more variants of CTD too, ie Trail Adjust which gives some tuning of the middle setting.

With the shocks, there is some overlap of the internals, but the Factory shocks get the smoother Kashima coating. As do the forks.
  • Thanks but is there likely to be any discernible difference in performance when out on the trails (mainly XC riding, no jumps, etc)?

There is no fine tune setting on the forks I have highlighted (softer/harder while in Trail mode) although I have noticed this on the 34 Talas CTD fitted on the 2013 Stumpy FSR Evo Carbon Expert (which also floats my boat) although I feel this would ultimately be much more bike than I actually need!

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... 11628.aspx

I really like the 514 and if there really is no "real world" difference in performance of the Evolution fork over that of the Performance variant on the 714 I may well settle on this.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All I can say is demo them. For me both forks do not offer enough compression adjustment. But as the RL you are used to has no adjustment either, it may not bother you. There is little difference in the actual performance of either CTD forks, the slightly less smooth FUT damper is offset by the smoother kashima.
  • Thanks SS although neither of the forks in question have the kashima coating. It looks like I`ll be testing the 314 which has the FIT fork and you reckon it is less smooth than the equivalent open bath fork?

Having not been used to compression adjustment won`t really bother me.

But if you say there won`t be much difference in feel and performance, I may plump for the 514 (after a test ride of course) :)