Using Avid mounts for shimano calipers?

musicville
musicville Posts: 29
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Good evening all

I have given up on my old juicy 3 disk brakes as they have had it so to speak (leaking, squeekey sticking etc). Looking at replacements decided on Shimano Deore 596's front and back.

My question is, can i simply use the Avid mounts that i already have on the bike and replace the calipers and levers or do i need to buy shimano mounts aswell. Also I am assuming the Avid rotors will be fine ?

Many thanks appreciate any help on this,

Regards

Mike

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've just done exactly that change. It was fine.
  • brilliant just the answer i was hoping for so thanks for that il buy them then, just out of interest what do u think of them ?
  • just gone to buy them, had them in the basket went to pay and realised that there was only the front showing.... turns out the rear has sold out and is not back in stock untill next month so annoyed !!!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited November 2012
    Was that from CRC? I tried to buy some yesterday, same thing, went back for something else today and both showed as available, bought them, but now the rear is oos again. Hope they found one and put it back in stock and it wasn't a computer glitch. Order is showing as processing anyway.
    But best alternative deal at the moment seems to be Merlin - £90 after online discount, and they had stock yesterday.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Crc has 10% off for £100 and over spend at the moment. Code net10
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    Yeah I added an XT BB to the basket to bring it over £100, so cheap brakes and a tenner for the BB has to be a helluva deal.
    Providing I get the brakes that is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    musicville wrote:
    brilliant just the answer i was hoping for so thanks for that il buy them then, just out of interest what do u think of them ?

They are absolutely superb, even for more than the £85 I paid they'd be great. This isn't scientific, but they are about 14 times better than the Juicy 3s, which were always just slightly draggy. Someone on eBay paid nearly £50 for the used Juicy 3s, which was a massive bonus too.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    musicville wrote:
    Good evening all

I have given up on my old juicy 3 disk brakes as they have had it so to speak (leaking, squeekey sticking etc). Looking at replacements decided on Shimano Deore 596's front and back.
    My question is, can i simply use the Avid mounts that i already have on the bike and replace the calipers and levers or do i need to buy shimano mounts aswell. Also I am assuming the Avid rotors will be fine ?

I did the samw when changing from my Elixirs to XTs.I kept the mounts from my Avids and used them for my XTs. They work really well and have had no problems.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • yes it was from CRC actually ! decided to get the front from CRC for £40 and the rear from Tweeks for 45 so a fiver extra but i get them by the weekend 85 quid will do for me
  • I too made that same change, swapped my elixir 3 for SLX because the Avids are utterly rubbish. No issue with using the Avid mounts but I did need to use the existing elixir fixing bolts because the shimano ones supplied weren't long enough. Unlike the hoses which needed a good 8 inches trimmed off front and back. Gonna put my Avids on eBay tomorrow.
  • cooldad
    musicville wrote:
    yes it was from CRC actually ! decided to get the front from CRC for £40 and the rear from Tweeks for 45 so a fiver extra but i get them by the weekend 85 quid will do for me
    Yeah turns out it was a CRC computer glitch or something - bugger.
    Parker have them for £45 as well so got the rear from them.
    Still got the extra 10% discount for orders over £100 by adding in an XT BB so it all evens out.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bernie1973 wrote:
    I too made that same change, swapped my elixir 3 for SLX because the Avids are utterly rubbish. No issue with using the Avid mounts but I did need to use the existing elixir fixing bolts because the shimano ones supplied weren't long enough. Unlike the hoses which needed a good 8 inches trimmed off front and back. Gonna put my Avids on eBay tomorrow.

you didn't reuse the conical washers on the shimanos, did you?
  • No. Just the hex bolts and the flat washers.
  • ok il bite what would happen if you did use the conical washers ?

Many thanks

Mike
  • musicville wrote:
    ok il bite what would happen if you did use the conical washers ?

Many thanks

Mike

The avid conical washers are quick thick, shimano dont use them, so the calliper would end up a few mm out of position.

although thinking about it its more likely that the avid mount is the 180mm one that uses two mega long bolts.
  • Also be extra careful with PM as you need to insert the bolts fully.

Washers will stop them going in enough.