Lights

daveyruthers
daveyruthers Posts: 129
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
Was thinking of buying a 1800 lumen light off eBay. Will this be bright enough for night time commuting home?
Bianchi Via Nirone
Focus Izalco Pro 2.0

Comments

• inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I run 2 x Ultrafire 501b Cree T6 torches.

Loads of info in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12807034&p=17977000&hilit=inkz#p17977000
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Unnecessarily bright in my opinion. I use 1 x 900 lumen light on unlit cycle path and a bit of road. It's plenty bright enough (in fact I have to point it towards the ground when on the road and if people are oncoming on the cycle path).

I'm getting pretty sick of being dazzled blind by these ridiculously bright lights to be honest.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it's the 1800lm XML based light with the 4 cell battery pack, they are 900 lumens, not 1800. and has a much lower mode too. I use one, works great.
  • Best commuting light . Philips saferide. Lights up the road . Doesn't blind others. Perfect for road and trails.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Maybe good on the road, but for trails I think it is poor. And even then i think the cheaper options are better on the road.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Depends how much you want to annoy other people. I'm not aware of any lights that come anywhere close to the Philips for beam pattern for road use, although I agree that it's no good off road.
  • By trails I meant the flat almost paved type . Certainly not rough terain.
  • I'm still using my 100lumen Niterider Minewt USB and approx 45% of my 17miles is unlit B-Roads and I find it acceptable and best of all I charge it at work plugged into my PC :)
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    supersonic wrote:
    If it's the 1800lm XML based light with the 4 cell battery pack, they are 900 lumens, not 1800. and has a much lower mode too. I use one, works great.

Agreed, £30 posted, and order the £5 wide angle lens from action led lights over in the states. Transforms the beam pattern into a wide spread, perfect for commuting.

http://www.action-led-lights.com/collec ... angle-lens
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I run 2 x Ultrafire 501b Cree T6 torches.

Me too. On ebay (from a UK supplier, check!) you can get a pair with all the bits for 30 quid. If you have two lights you're not stuffed if one has a fault or a flat battery. I like a head torch too (AA LED upgraded Maglite on NiteIze headband), if you look at a drivers they're more likely to see you - but you don't want to blind them with a super torch.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!