Brass Monkeys anyone..?!!

Comments

• agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Can understand how he did, some quite sketchy moments were had in the mud yesterday. As with Miss Notax, very glad the Mud X's were fastened to the hoops, especially after a few laps. Pity my granny ring kept chain sucking (sounds rude dunnit!) so had to middle ring it all the way round, but managed 30/82 in the 4hour and picked up some points for the first time ever, so pretty chuffed and has made me want to continue on and do the other 2 now.

The course I found was pretty good, apart from the muddy bits was a good mix of singletrack and the climbs weren't tooo bad. Suffered some major thigh cramps after getting stuck in the mud, but thankfully was on me last lap, so happy to cross that line! Glad the rain held off and appreciated the weeks downpours as it gave me a chance to wash my bike in the car park river before putting it in the back of the car :-)
  • Was a great ride yesterday.. glad the weather held up and the course was in very good condition considering (plus a bit of mud makes for some variation).

I came in 49th with 3 laps - must remember to get to the start earlier next time so I'm not at the back!

Biggest disappointment of the day was going to change down to the granny ring for the climbs on the last lap.. only to realise I was already in it - aaargh! :roll:

Photos available on Joolze Dymond's site..
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    frogstomp wrote:
    Biggest disappointment of the day was going to change down to the granny ring for the climbs on the last lap.. only to realise I was already in it - aaargh! :roll:

Bummer :lol::lol:

I got held up loads at the start too - my problem is that I never think i'm good or fast enough to start any further forward (I don't think I am :oops: ) and then just have to patiently wait for everyone to push their bikes up all the hills. My own fault!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I'm far too polite I think....let people push in at the start and then proceed to hold me up. My first lap was about 6 mins slower than the next two!

I'm really happy I went yesterday. Deliberated on pulling out due to the rain on Sat. So glad I didn't...

Notax...I saw you again....tentatively looking over that drop about half way around the heathland...and some bloke bhind (not me, I hasten to add) shouting "commit!"....which you did! Wasn't sure if it was race etiquette to pipe up a conversation - especially being out of breath and having snot and sweat dripping off me....so just went about my business.
  • miss notax
    Ha ha, that bloke who shouted COMMIT really annoyed me! The chap in front of me dabbed, which made me focus in on what he had stopped at (the drop), which made me hesitate - stupid really! I would usually fly over stuff like that without even thinking!

You almost saw me swear like a crazy-lady at the chap that shouted anyway :wink:

I hope I didn't hold you up anyway? I guess you were stuck behind me on the singletrack then too :oops:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• Mccraque wrote:
    ...and some bloke bhind (not me, I hasten to add) shouting "commit!"....

Makes a change from "strava!" I guess! :lol:

I figure next time I'll try and get nearer the front.. all the proper quick riders should have left me behind by the first singletrack anyway!
  • Mccraque
    frogstomp wrote:
    I came in 49th with 3 laps - must remember to get to the start earlier next time so I'm not at the back!

Ditto Frogstomp...I lined up with 15 mins to go and it was way too late.

btw - I finished just in front of you (48th).....that must have been you closing me down over the last 1km!
  • Mccraque wrote:
    btw - I finished just in front of you (48th).....that must have been you closing me down over the last 1km!

Yeah, I guess it was! I was gaining but then I think you spotted me and upped your pace a bit for the last stretch..

You weren't the guy I was chatting to about 29ers slightly earlier in the lap..?
  • Mccraque
    Yeah that was me! I keep pondering on whether to buy one!!

I thought I was cruising home uncontested....heard you coming and thought I'd better get my finger out. Think we both gained a place as some guy had stopped, cramped up on the very last corner, just a few meters from the line!
  • Video clip of the start of the 2 hour race: HERE

I really was a long way back (2:03)! Miss Notax at 1:19?

Lots more photos on 1st Gear Cycles Facebook page..
  • miss notax
    Yep, that was me - rather embarassed that i'm on film PUSHING my bike up hill - I would like to point out this is only because everyne else was doing the same making riding impossible :oops: :wink:

• miss notax wrote:
    Yep, that was me - rather embarassed that i'm on film PUSHING my bike up hill - I would like to point out this is only because everyne else was doing the same making riding impossible :oops: :wink:

Good motivation for starting nearer the front! :wink:
  • miss notax
    You might have a point there!! :wink:

• agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Yeah I used to start about 2/3 of the way from the front, but now I've started positioning myself about 1/3 from the front and it's a lot better, I'd rather have people passing me than stuck behind someone. I think it's a good idea to start a little bit in front of where you finished in your previous race.
  • Mccraque
    I'm pushing as well.....1min 40 in!

and found me in the photos that frogstomp prosted above...

...also off the bike

I managed to jam the chain on a climb. Jumped off....*flash*.

and that is the only photo of me on the day!!
  • Mccraque wrote:
    and that is the only photo of me on the day!!

There's one of you on the Joolze Dymond site.. just in front of me as it happens..
  • Mccraque
    you're right! And also checked my own number....there is another one of me - you're in that too!
  • miss notax
    Awwww :wink:

frogstomp - can't seem to see those photos on Facebook (not that i'm looking whilst at work :shock: ).... Am I being thick or have they moved?!

• miss notax wrote:
    frogstomp - can't seem to see those photos on Facebook (not that i'm looking whilst at work :shock: ).... Am I being thick or have they moved?!

As far as I can tell they're still there.. just type '1st Gear Cycles' into the search box on Facebook and you should be able to find the pictures/videos down the page.
  • miss notax
    Got it (I was being thick....). No pics of me though - I was obviously too fast :wink::lol:

• miss notax wrote:
    Got it (I was being thick....). No pics of me though - I was obviously too fast :wink::lol:

(or walking)
    :P
  • miss notax
    Ssssh..... :lol:

• andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    I tried to enjoy this but 3 punctures and complete rear brake failure kinda dented it. Still finnished 32nd in vet.
  • miss notax
    Anyone seen the forecast for Sunday? Looks like a wet one... :|

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They can't really tell what this afternoon will be like, let alone 6 days time!

So I'm telling myself.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Bit hacked off, that the only round I could make (3rd) has been cancelled :(
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1 wrote:
    Bit hacked off, that the only round I could make (3rd) has been cancelled :(

Where is that information from? Can't see anything on the Brass Monkeys or Gorrick websites..
  • miss notax
    I hope not - i've paid up front for all 3 races!!

Can't find anything online about it being cancelled......?

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd heard the course was trashed by a motorbike enduro and they were likely to move it, heard nowt of cancellation.
  • Hope it's not cancelled. This is going to be my big debut into racing :P