Rockrider 8.1 on ebay

Chelloveck
Chelloveck Posts: 15
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm new to this. I was planning to bide my time and research as much as possible before making a purchase, but idly browsing ebay today, I see there is a Rockrider 8.1 in my area! It looks like an older model, and I was wondering what value you guys would place it at.

My original budget was going to be set somewhere between £300-400 but I was interested in possibly stretching my budget to a new RR 8.1. Planning to take it around the Peak District on easy trails to begin with and then work up from there.

Any help appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/btwin-8-1-roc ... 4d06f6b0c6

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I think they need to sort the alignment of the bars out.
  • Heh - yeah. I take it it was like that just for storage purposes. Not exactly glowing salesmanship in the ad.

Any other input? I mean this is exactly what I didn't want to do - snatch at a possible deal without fully researching my options, but I just want to make sure I am not missing a potential one-off good deal so close to home.

I may end up getting a new 8.1 for circa 300 quid more and kicking myself for missing this. I dunno. Thoughts?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I don't really know what the question is, but go and see him and offer him some cash if it looks OK and if the seller looks OK.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    I don't really know what the question is, but go and see him and offer him some cash if it looks OK and if the seller looks OK.

Guessing it was the bit where the op said "and I was wondering what value you guys would place it at".

Ask the seller what year it is, compare the spec and price to the latest one and if possible go round (as its local to you) and give it a good going over.

If you're still not sure then post up more details on here and I'm sure somebody with a lot more knowledge than me will help you out :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Myster101 wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Ask the seller what year it is, compare the spec and price to the latest one and if possible go round (as its local to you) and give it a good going over.
    is the 2010 bike http://www.decathlon.com.cn/EN/8-1-2010-184871188/#
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Ah, very useful. Much obliged.

2 years old then, but with near-identical spec to the latest model. I think I'll see how this one pans out and go and see it on Thursday if it stays below the £200 mark, and if it is still available.

Good forum!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    That was the current model until about 6 weeks ago so potentially it's not very old at all. Decent bikes them.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    That was the current model until about 6 weeks ago so potentially it's not very old at all. Decent bikes them.

Good information, thanks. I had no idea and just assumed there was a 2010, 2011, 2012 model etc.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    It can't be that recent, it has the Tora fork there has been that one http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html then the one for sale now and there might be the 2013 model soon I guess
  • chez_m356
    LJ. wrote:
    It can't be that recent, it has the Tora fork there has been that one http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html then the one for sale now and there might be the 2013 model soon I guess
    its the 2010 bike, 2012 bikes have only recently been released, expect the 2013's this time next year
  • chez_m356
    Chelloveck wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Good information, thanks. I had no idea and just assumed there was a 2010, 2011, 2012 model etc.
    you were right to assume, 2010, tora's and juicy 3's, 2011, recons and elixir 3, 2012 different colour scheme :lol: , saying that the tora's and the recons are basically the same fork, so realistically the only advantage you would get with a new one, would be a warranty
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Chelloveck wrote:
    prawny wrote:

you were right to assume, 2010, tora's and juicy 3's, 2011, recons and elixir 3, 2012 different colour scheme :lol: , saying that the tora's and the recons are basically the same fork, so realistically the only advantage you would get with a new one, would be a warranty

It says tora's in the decription but the decals on the forks are more like the recon ones which made me think it was last years. But looking again that had white wheels. That said I've just found a pic of the 2010 one with white wheels too with the 2010 RS Tora graphics :?

Who knows, still decent bike and looks in good nick.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • chez_m356
    prawny wrote:
    It says tora's in the decription but the decals on the forks are more like the recon ones which made me think it was last years. But looking again that had white wheels. That said I've just found a pic of the 2010 one with white wheels too with the 2010 RS Tora graphics :?

Who knows, still decent bike and looks in good nick.
    you got me thinking there and your right, after a little digging it looks like the very late 2010 8.1's were specced with the recons, i would imagine this was down to rock shox changing there line up/availability, so apart from the juicy three brakes its the same spec as the current model, i guess the seller just copied the spec of the 2010 off the net, well spotted ''prawny'' :)
  • OP here. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and for decrypting the year of the thing! 5 hours left, still at 180 quid, but I have reluctantly decided to let this one pass by. Struck down with the dreaded man-flu over the last few days so I won't be able to see it in person, which is pretty much essential as far as I can gather.

Cheers again.
    =========================================

EDITED: It went for 256 quid if anyone is interested. Persoanlly, I wouldn't have gone that high.