yet another 'what bike' thread

clairelc
clairelc Posts: 49
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
I know these get boring quickly, but I'm incabable of making decisions about getting a new bike.

I currently ride a hybrid 7 miles each way to work and back (straight up CS7), and the occaisional weekend pootle but am thinking about getting my first road bike. My thought process has basically gone 'ooh shiney, I want one' and then my cycle to work scheme opened....

It's through Cycle Solutions which doesn't have the widest range, but seems to have some decent brands. So far I've spotted a few that have caught my eye, but mainly becaue i like the look of them... I really don't know what I'm looking for, other than recognising brand names etc

There's this Bianchi which works out around the £40 a month from my takehome pay over 12 months, plus the fair-market value cost at the end,

or this Canondale Synapse - about £35 a month from take home pay

Specialized Dolce - about £33 a month

There are a couple of Giants / Scotts too at similar price points.

What are your thoughts on these as a first real road bike? What should I be looking for? I've gone for women specific frames, as I'm quite short so figured this would fit better. The cycle to work scheme is only open for two weeks, so I first have to decide if I actually want to spend the money (I know the answer is always n+1!), then what bike I want.

What sort of difference will it make to my commute, riding a road bike vs. hybrid? I tend to sit around the 14-16 average mph currently, so whilst i'm not the slowest cyclist in the world, I'm by no means super-speedy.

**Edit** Forgot to say, I currently have a pannier rack on my bike, which i like as it avoids the sweaty back thing. WOuld the above take a rack, or would I be better off with a messenger bag / rucksack if I get any of the above?

Comments

• None of the three bikes seem to have panier mounts on the frame, so either rucksack/courier bag or some paniers can mount using P clips, clearly you may loose some paint with that.

in terms of speed down the CS7 probably no faster, once out into Surrey lanes/Richmond park should be little bit faster, but the main benefit is a nicer feeling bike.

the Bianchi does look nice and has better kit, as you'd expect for the price.

Both the Bianchi and the Cannondale have 9 speed cassette (gears at back)

But while the Cannondale and Specialized have triples the Bianchi has a double (front gears)

This makes the Bianchi look better most folks prefer the look of Doubles, But the Triples will give a slightly lowest gear and highest gear. most folk hardly use either end.

If you can call past one of the bike shops/showrooms to have a look at any of these bikes or simular ones probably be a good idea.