I've ordered mine

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited November 2012 in The bottom bracket
"Scientists from the RAND Corporation have created this model to illustrate how a “home computer” could look like in the year 2004. However the needed technology will not be economically feasible for the average home. Also the scientists readily admit that the computer will require not yet invented technology to actually work. But 50 years from now, scientific progress is expected to solve these problems. With telescope interface and the Fortean language the computer will be easy to use."

cleatsBaldingSearchingMachine.jpg

And you can play pacman on it. :D
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    The language is Fortran (and it's a teletype UI)

I have a funny (you had to be there) story about one of my first Software Engineering lectures and Fortran!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    OK, I give up. What's the steering wheel for? Trackball equivalent?

Or is that actually some totally different control panel in the background, with a monitor and TT thrown in? Did early computers ever have an array of analogue dials like that?
  • Any idea when that dates from? Would be interesting to see how predictions have changed over the years...
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • schweiz
    I can't see it being a trackball/mouse equivalent as I don't think the idea of a GUI would have occured to the developers. Apple's OS was released in 1984 and the first e-mail system I used in 1996 was running on a VAX/VMS system from the 80's, which was still all command line. Maybe the wheels are to load the punched tape into the reader?

This was the first stored program computer....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Baby
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    bompington wrote:
    OK, I give up. What's the steering wheel for?
    For controlling the fuel rods to shut down the nuclear reactor in the cellar that you'd need to power it I suspect ?
  • schweiz
    Any idea when that dates from? Would be interesting to see how predictions have changed over the years...

• nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    I`m thinking of upgrading to that,always wanted Os 0.1
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • That Touchscreen will be hard to reach.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Unfortunately this is one is a fake:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

That's some sort of submarine control wheel.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    In one of my first jobs in 1973ish I was a trainee computer operator.

The computer was in a big room with airlock doors, I had to wear a lab coat and a hairnet for my hair (I was a bit of a hippy). It was a huge machine and was fed info on punch cards.

Probably more computing power in my watch now than in that behemoth.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    A guy I worked with, worked for the same computer manufacturer from 1967 to retirement.
    They sold a main-frame to a company but the lead time for manufacturing was 3 years!
    The board said that they couldn't spend that many millions of pounds on a computer that would take 3 years to manufacture, that there was an AGM coming up and they needed something to show the share holders.
    So to get the order they built them a cardboard model of the computer to show at the AGM :?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    "With teletype interface and fortran language, the computer will be easy to use"

It wasn't mentioned in the description that a bloke with glasses based in Seattle would make overpriced bast4rd temperamental software called Windows 8 and Vista that takes up more Hard Drive space than the footprint of a bus load of Cleats Munters.
    Wasn't it said that a Furbi (y?), had more processing power than that of the Apollo 11 craft?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!