Strava help

nick1972
nick1972 Posts: 144
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I recently changed phones from Blackberry to Sony Xperia in order to run Strava. I've registered on the Strava website and downloaded the app on my phone.

Whats the next step, the app just tells me locating and doesn't seem to find my address.

Please help

Comments

• dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Have you turned the gps on? Not sure how to do it exactly with your phone... I am on android and there is a pull down menu that allows you to turn it on/off. If not try and navigate your way through the phones settings, it will be in there somewhere.

Once the gps is on, you need to stand outside for the phone to pick up your location. When you are found strava will say 'gps ok' or something like that. Then just hit record, lock the screen and put the phone in your jersey/saddle bag. When you get back press finish ride and save. It will then upload automatically to the strava website when you have 3g/wifi.

Hope that helps.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a go.
  • Rather than starting a new topic, i'll ask in here.

Does strava add a time for a segment you've ridden, only if you beat your PB?
  • logie48 wrote:
    Rather than starting a new topic, i'll ask in here.

No, you'll still get a segment time but you'll only see a trophy if you get a time within your top 3.
  • logie48 wrote:

No, you'll still get a segment time but you'll only see a trophy if you get a time within your top 3.

Thanks.

I think that's the problem though. I can't even see a segment time. Even though the exact route for the segment has tracked through Strava during my run today. :(
  • logie48 wrote:
    I think that's the problem though. I can't even see a segment time. Even though the exact route for the segment has tracked through Strava during my run today. :(

Could it be that you lost the GPS signal during the segment?
    This could be the cause. A straight red line which doesn't quite follow the curves in the road is normally a tell tale sign.

Or does the segment start or finish in your privacy (near your house) zone?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    logie48 wrote:

if you want to see all your times, not just PB's etc and where you stand on segments, this is the place

http://veloviewer.com
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Nick1972 wrote:
    I recently changed phones from Blackberry to Sony Xperia in order to run Strava. I've registered on the Strava website and downloaded the app on my phone.

Whats the next step, the app just tells me locating and doesn't seem to find my address.

Please help
    Next step us use your phone for calling people, and buy a gps unit and do the job properly
  • NewTTer wrote:
    Nick1972 wrote:

Please help
    Next step us use your phone for calling people, and buy a gps unit and do the job properly
    Leaving aside the basic unhelpfulness of this reply, the implication is that the GPS unit in phones isn't up to the job. While that may be the case in some examples of some phones, and the OP may be unlucky in that respect, it certainly isn't always true, and it isn't also always true that a dedicated sports GPS unit will be better.

My OH has a Garmin 610 for running, and not only is it slower to pick up the satellites than my Galaxy S3, it's certainly not immune to losing the signal, recapturing it, and getting some anomalous track segments in the uploaded data.

Whereas my GS3 has been solid whether it's been in my rucksack, or jersey pocket. I don't doubt that I'll lose the signal at some point - all I'm saying is that the dedicated units aren't perfect, and it shouldn't be assumed that by lashing out all the extra money on one, all the problems will go away.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • logie48 wrote:

Could it be that you lost the GPS signal during the segment?
    This could be the cause. A straight red line which doesn't quite follow the curves in the road is normally a tell tale sign.

Or does the segment start or finish in your privacy (near your house) zone?

Na...GPS was fine and it tracked the segment. I've passed it exactly, and it shows in Strava. Yet it doesn't recognise it as a segment each time I pass. It has only clocked it the first time I rode it, and i've road it about 5 times. That's why I thought it only does it if you beat your PB for it.

:lol: :roll:
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    NewTTer wrote:
    Nick1972 wrote:

Please help
    Leaving aside the basic unhelpfulness of this reply, the implication is that the GPS unit in phones isn't up to the job. While that may be the case in some examples of some phones, and the OP may be unlucky in that respect, it certainly isn't always true, and it isn't also always true that a dedicated sports GPS unit will be better.

My OH has a Garmin 610 for running, and not only is it slower to pick up the satellites than my Galaxy S3, it's certainly not immune to losing the signal, recapturing it, and getting some anomalous track segments in the uploaded data.

Whereas my GS3 has been solid whether it's been in my rucksack, or jersey pocket. I don't doubt that I'll lose the signal at some point - all I'm saying is that the dedicated units aren't perfect, and it shouldn't be assumed that by lashing out all the extra money on one, all the problems will go away.
    Get over yourself Chrisonasoapbox FFS