Knee Pain

bluedog99
bluedog99 Posts: 183
edited November 2012 in Road general
Hi, i have recently changed my position on my bike, saddle raised 1 inch and moved back 1/2 inch. The position was changed at a fitting for a new bike i have ordered. I am experiencincing slight soreness around my knee icluding the muscles. I have been doing 2 to 3 hours at a time and i do feel that the position suits me. i feel i am getting more out of the bike for my efforts. Should i be concerned or is it something i should expect after years in a lower position. Would you reduce milage and stay away for hills for a while? Any advice welcome, cheers.
Rourke 853 Team Pro Custom.

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Could you go back and ask the guys that did the bike fit?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • TheFD wrote:
    Could you go back and ask the guys that did the bike fit?
    Sounds like a sensible thing to do. Cheers. Iwas just wondering if because of a new position i should expect my muscles to have a period of adaptation.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I only suggested it because I have no idea!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    It's normal, you aren't used to the position. I had the same experience when I got my bike fit, only lasted a couple days. If the pain doesn't fade away then you might want to go back.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I bought a new bike and didn't check the fore-aft adjustment because it "felt right", if anything I wanted it further back. Started getting knee pain and it was getting worse all the time. Did the knee over pedal spindle test and moved the saddle forwards a good bit, pain solved. If you pain persists I'd be very careful you don't make it a lot worse, your knee will need time to heal off the bike if you make it worse.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Thanks again for the replies, i will move my saddle forward half the amount it was moved back and see how that goes. Cheers.
  • bluedog99 wrote:
    Thanks again for the replies, i will move my saddle forward half the amount it was moved back and see how that goes. Cheers.

Have you got your cleats aligned correctly and how much float?
  • unixnerd wrote:
    If you pain persists I'd be very careful you don't make it a lot worse, your knee will need time to heal off the bike if you make it worse.

+1.
    I'm currently a month into an enforced break to recover from tendinitis and expect to be out of action for at least another two weeks, probably longer. Rest alone will not necessarily cure injuries either: some require active treatment by a physio, which can get expensive.

In my case, the damage was probably caused by my inadvertent lowering of the saddle, but made worse because I ignored pain that was intermittent and mild for quite a while.
  • bluedog99 wrote:
    Thanks again for the replies, i will move my saddle forward half the amount it was moved back and see how that goes. Cheers.

Have you got your cleats aligned correctly and how much float?
    Yes the cleats were checked for allignment and float at the fitting, there were no issues mentioned.
  • ManOfKent wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:
    If you pain persists I'd be very careful you don't make it a lot worse, your knee will need time to heal off the bike if you make it worse.

+1.
    I'm currently a month into an enforced break to recover from tendinitis and expect to be out of action for at least another two weeks, probably longer. Rest alone will not necessarily cure injuries either: some require active treatment by a physio, which can get expensive.

In my case, the damage was probably caused by my inadvertent lowering of the saddle, but made worse because I ignored pain that was intermittent and mild for quite a while.
    Thanks for the advice, i will have no hesitation of stopping cycling if the pain persists. I have moved the saddle 1/2 way to where it was previously, both forward and down done 60 mins this morning and will see if there is any reaction. If ok i will leave the saddle where it is for a couple of weeks then gradually creep it to the position that the fitting arrived at. I have till the beginning of May to receive my new bike, so i can fiddle with my existing bike which was set up at the fitting to what the new bike will be. Thanks once again,
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Knees are funny things. I am relatively new to the sport and this year has seen me significantly increase my mileage. I was doing this steadily over the summer as I was targeting a charity ride in September that was effectively 200+ miles in a weekend. Unfortunately I broke an arm about two months before and lost pretty much 4 weeks. this made me push on a bit harder and I think caused a problem with the medial ligaments of my left leg. Generally I have been ok on the bike - a bit of ITB for which I foam roller and had some physio but this injury became quite troublesome.

It came on when I was pushing quite hard on a club run, harder than I normally ride but I was being pushed by a much better rider so didnt want to disappoint. It was also after a 60 miler the previous day. It got to the point that I had to protect it for most of the last 30 miles of that run and made getting out of the saddle to climb impossible.

Needless to say I managed the weekend charity ride dosed up on ibuprofen and keeping a higher cadence but since then it still doesn't feel quite right. Pain is on the inner (medial) part of the knee and feels like its in the joint when loaded up - ie higher gear or mashing pedals. I am now on Omega oil and glucosamine supplements to try and help. With me I m not sure its a fit issue as I was ok for a while. i think its possibly too much too soon, overuse. Maybe its tendinitis or cartilage - I hope not the latter as that deosnt get better! Anyway managed 35 miles yesterday and it wasnt too bad so long as I kept cadence high but it has knocked my average speed a bit. Funny things knees
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If I were you I'd rest it for a few weeks, especially at this time of year when it's less fun out anyway.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!