Overtaking other road bikes / accidental commuter racing

outdawesfoxed
outdawesfoxed Posts: 22
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Was cycling South-West out of London A24 on Saturday, overtaken by an apparently much more experienced cyclist (I'm still clueless). However, there are many junctions along that route and each time they were accelerating pretty slowly, but to a faster speed than myself, but eventually I just started letting them stay in front from the offset, removing the constant overtaking of each other.

However he looked as if he might have been getting annoyed at all this, so at some point I just though "sod it" and just went to 90% and didn't look back. I didn't see them again (presumably they took a different route because he looked a lot faster), but had I breached some road biking etiquette? I'm not keen on overtaking other cyclists too frequently as this always feels particularly hairy when there are lots of cars. Have I now accidentally created a sparring partner on the roads of London? 8) They had earphones in and didn't seem to want to discuss the subject (I sometimes banter with other cyclists, normally moaning about drivers or asking for directions etc).

Comments

• dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    I don't really know the proper etiquette in such a situation. I really don't understand people riding with headphones in though... over half of my awareness of whats going on behind me comes from sound!

I made my first overtake of another cyclist today.... it was a middle couple on a tandem going up a hill :lol:
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    The correct etiquette is to blow the person a kiss while passing by.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    etiquette and hierarchy for overtaking heavily depends on the cost of their cycling gear - did he have an expensive jacket on?
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    Passed a guy early on in my ride today, so as i was overtaking quickly asked his route and he happened to be headed the same way.
    Sat just in front to offer a draft to him, which he obliged until a downhill section shortly after. Thought I'd hang back and wait for him as he looked like a beginner, but he seemed to hold back so short of stopping he wouldnt have caught up.
    kinda felt like i'd offended him somehow :(
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Scr can be quite infectious viewtopic.php?f=40012
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • No jacket, but his gear was definitely shinier. Perhaps the best solution to this is having a custom "How's my cycling?" t-shirt printed with my email address.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    I overtake quite a few cyclists on my commute to and from work. I ride at my pace and if the bike in from is too slow I pass them. By the same token I've had cyclists pass me for the same reason.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Given the other guy was wearing earphones whilst riding a bike leads me to assume he was an eejut.

Just wipe out the notion of commuter racing from your brain and just ride along at your pace. Just imagine if pedestrian commuters started this one up man ship on the pavement...
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    itboffin wrote:
    Scr can be quite infectious viewtopic.php?f=40012
    ITB's not v good with technology; that link doesn't work.

Here's the thread with over 2000 pages of what you're discussing. Silly Commuter Racing

Enjoy.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Slack wrote:
    Given the other guy was wearing earphones whilst riding a bike leads me to assume he was an eejut.

Just wipe out the notion of commuter racing from your brain and just ride along at your pace. Just imagine if pedestrian commuters started this one up man ship on the pavement...
    :roll:

Oh it happens :lol:
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    edited November 2012
    Nick1972 wrote:
    I overtake quite a few cyclists on my commute to and from work. I ride at my pace and if the bike in from is too slow I pass them. By the same token I've had cyclists pass me for the same reason.

This :)
    Slack wrote:

Gotta say, that I sometimes commute with earphones and don't think it is in any way detrimental to my safety, but if that makes me an eejut, then I can live with that :wink:
  • Nick1972 wrote:

same here.

worst thing though is when the person in front is just a little bit slower than your normal cruising speed...you then think funk it I'll overtake only for the realisation that you gotta hold the pace for quite a while so as not to look a dick and at this exact moment, the wind kicks up and you realise you're at the bottom of a hill/slight incline and basically, you're totally wasted after 15 seconds. But you can't let them re-overtake cos that'd be embarrasing even though you're not actually racing...;)
  • Nick1972 wrote:

same here.

worst thing though is when the person in front is just a little bit slower than your normal cruising speed...you then think funk it I'll overtake only for the realisation that you gotta hold the pace for quite a while so as not to look a dick and at this exact moment, the wind kicks up and you realise you're at the bottom of a hill/slight incline and basically, you're totally wasted after 15 seconds. But you can't let them re-overtake cos that'd be embarrasing even though you're not actually racing...;)

and I thought I was the only pillock who does this :lol:
  • essjaydee wrote:
    Nick1972 wrote:

same here.

and I thought I was the only pillock who does this :lol:

+1 :oops:

:mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Cycle at your own speed and if you overtake someone, they are free to overtake you back if they don't like it. You can soften the blow with a cheery greeting if you feel self-conscious about it.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Power down blast past saying a cheery good morning/afternoon keeping going and make it stick - simple
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    Nik Cube wrote:
    Power down blast past saying a cheery good morning/afternoon keeping going and make it stick - simple

THIS!
    Wish my commute was busier, I'm luck if I meet 1 person headed the same way as me, weekends I'll meet a few more but whether I'm taking a totally different route to everyone else or what I dont bloody know!
  • Riders who go all out off the lights are idiots.... Do you wheelspin and full acceleration off every light when driving? Why do it when riding?

Most fast riders don't bother to accelerate that fast from standstill; what's the point? It doesn't gain you anything other than getting you really tired and hampering your riding. It's far more efficient to keep your effort consistent.

Simply put.... Accelerate using the same amount of power you use to cruise.
  • Riders who go all out off the lights are idiots.... Do you wheelspin and full acceleration off every light when driving? Why do it when riding?

Most fast riders don't bother to accelerate that fast from standstill; what's the point? It doesn't gain you anything other than getting you really tired and hampering your riding. It's far more efficient to keep your effort consistent.

Simply put.... Accelerate using the same amount of power you use to cruise.

On the whole bikes acceleration off the line is fairly woeful, can't say I blast off my self as a matter of habit, but I do have a higher acceleration than average. And being able to pull away smartly across some busy junctions so that traffic will not be overtaking at the junction but further on, can be useful.

On the whole most folk are not bothered either way.