SRAM Rival chainring replacement.

edhutchison
edhutchison Posts: 2
edited November 2014 in Workshop
I'm looking for recommendations on replacing my (outer at least) chainring that came with my SRAM rival groupset n my Kuota Korsa Lite. Bought in January 2011, the teeth are very worn and some even bent with only about 3000 (give or take) miles ridden. I'm looking for something more hard-wearing and durable because I've been told that SRAM aren't known for their durability (that is, with the lower price-bracket groupsets) whilst Campag last and last.

Thoughts?

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,921
    All the teeth on chainrings aren't the same, some of them are profiled and angled to help improve shifting.

I very much doubt your chainrings are worn after 3000 miles.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm looking for recommendations on replacing my (outer at least) chainring that came with my SRAM rival groupset n my Kuota Korsa Lite. Bought in January 2011, the teeth are very worn and some even bent with only about 3000 (give or take) miles ridden. I'm looking for something more hard-wearing and durable because I've been told that SRAM aren't known for their durability (that is, with the lower price-bracket groupsets) whilst Campag last and last.

Thoughts?

These sort of quotes come with absolutely no foundation. SRAM are just as good as Campagnola and Shimano with their comparative groupsets, it all depends on what shift action you like, the looks and how they feel in your hands. SRAM are the new kids on the block as far as road bike groupsets go and the old traditionalists will come out with all sorts of rubbish simply because they don't like change.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Nowt wrong with SRAM rings at all IME. If you want something different though, Stronglight make some good chainrings, particularly the CT2 model. Spa Cycles have a good choice.

If you want some SRAM rings though since they're actually very good rings and it's a compact chainset you have then I have a set of 34/50 rings that have done <1000 miles and are in excellent condition for sale. See the classifieds or PM me :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • Stronglight and Praxiss make for great replacement options but as others have said at 3,000 miles your chainring should be fine.

I ride Force and have probably close to 10,000 miles in to my chainrings with no noticable wear at all (I do replace chains early though). I'd head to your LBS and have a look at a new bike, you'll see the machining on the teeth as new and can compare to yours.
  • Lecho
    Lecho Posts: 1
    Hi,

Chain ring will wear out, simply if your chain is worn. So always start with checking your chain, if you see any signs of stretching or loose links, replace as soon as possible. I had this case with MTB Truvativ rings (large one was made of alu, smaller steel) chain ring, they use machined alloy. SRAM is know for longer lasting components than Shimano. Eg cassettes and chains of top range should last up to 10,000km.
    PS You have to also replace chain and cassette, if you replacing chain rings, otherwise it will not last long. All components in drive chain should be of the same age and technical shape, and preferably brand.

cheers,
    Lech
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Shimano and SRAM chainrings, chains and cassettes are all compatible. Mix and match as much as you want.

I also really doubt the chainrings are gone in 3k. Mine (Force) have done 3k and are like new. The cut outs are to aid quick shifting, not where the teeth have worn away.

As an extreme example, have a look at the teeth on an SRAM Red cassette...

Cassette_Sram_Red.jpg
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Post a close up photo. +1 I bet they're not worn out.