Mixing front and back tyres - XR4's and Fire XC Pro's?

ElliesDad
ElliesDad Posts: 245
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Ok, so thought I would upgrade my wire bead 2.1 Panaracer XC Fire Pro's for folding 2.2 Bontrager XR4's after seeing the great reviews they get. Got a pair with hardly any wear on eBay (£19 for the pair!) and went to put them on my 2012 Boardman FS Team. The front went on fine, but the back doesn't fit the frame and rubs the chain stay. I knew the XR4's came up big for their size but boy they are certainly big! I thought they would be ok as the Conti MKII's that came with the bike were 2.2's.

Anyway, I've left the Fire Pro on the back and put an XR4 on the front (Mavic XM319 rims). I know you can run different tyres front and back, but has anyone got any thoughts or can see any problems running this combination. I mainly ride the red route at Cannock but intend to venture over to places like Llandegla in the future.

Thanks.
2012 Boardman FS Team
2014 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• no problems running them. The only problem you may find is if you personally don't get on with it.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Both are supposed to be "do anything tyres" so just give them a go. Nowt to loose.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As you have a new on the front, be sure to use the fresher XC pro on the rear (usually the one that came off the front).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks all for the feedback. Just need to get up to Cannock now to test the set up!

I made sure I used the fresher one on the back!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've found the XC Pro wourk well at Cannock, friends have the RX4 and report similarily (the only ones that don't seem to be Nobby Nics!) so doubt you'll have any issues, keep the other XC as I'm sure there will come a point where it is less worn than the one on there!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.