When is to old to be competitive ?

Kingsmill1
Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I've been riding now since the summer mainly for fitness and to lose some lbs I'm 44 and I've gone from short 7 miler five times a week to now doing 26 milers in about 1 hr 50 now. I'm no spring chicken and follow strava for my local rides I'm getting quicker as my average is about 16 mph but I'm never going to get my average up to 25-30 . Unless I spend a lot more time cycling and given that I work full time getting the balance right is going to be difficult. the question is at 44 should I do more leisure miles or continue to work on my fitness and get my average speed up. Just wanted to see what people of my age can accomplish ?
Giant TCR Comp 2
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    There are guys over 60 racing competitively, but not everyone wants to at that age. Do what you enjoy, and don't sweat average speed, it's largely meaningless. Also, please use more full stops.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Our club organiser is in his 50's, he's a great rider and also competes.

Way too early for you to be worrying about average speed. You'll be continuously improving for at least 2 years. You just need to ride for as long as you can at a steady pace to work on your base fitness first of all. Speed will then come, not to worry.

Also, 25-30mph average is extremely good for anyone who doesn't ride for a living. So I wouldn't beat yourself up for not being that fast.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    At 44 I'm sure you've got years left in you. I started competing in MTB some 8 years ago as a Veteran (40 to 49). I am not the quickest by any means but bar mishaps, never give up and always finish. The veterans are incredibly competitive and the standard of fitness is inspiring. As I said before I am not the quickest but when I compare my timings to the younger "sports" and "masters" I actually beat a lot of them, which just goes to show that youth don't always have the edge. You can't beat the feeling of whooping some cocky 20 year old!

To put it all into perspective, whatever cycling you are into, we are a minority. I don't mean that in a negative way. If you think about it what many of us cyclists do and achieve is what many, many other people do not. A lot would just die attempting one lap of a MTB race or just a short Sportive or even just getting out there and doing a few miles. So don't worry about quick or slow you might be, enjoy yourself and be happy that you are getting fitter and healthier than many people out there who don't do anything more physical than walking to the car.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • I'm 51, and have been back to road cycling for just over a year. I was MTBing for a while prior to that following a very long break from cycling due to work, family commitments etc. My average speed has reached the dizzy heights (for me) of 18.8mph and I reckon I will hit 20mph by the spring.

Personally I'm not interested in racing, partly because I don't think I'd be competitive enough, but also because I don't think I would be dedicated enough either. For me, cycling is a mix of keeping fit and a bit of fun, so I mix up my rides accordingly. I work hard on fitness during my weekday (evening) rides, and enjoy longer rides at the weekend, I'm up to 60-70 mile rides these days and have even managed a 92 miler this year.

I think you've got to be quite dedicated if you want to race competitively, and be prepared to make quite a few sacrifices.
    Ridley Orion
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I'm 45 and have been cycling a year now. My main aim is to loose wait and to get fit, I consider myself too old for racing - road racing that is. I joined a club this summer, I am fater than some and clearly slower than others (there are several cat 2 racers in my local club).

I might try some TTs next year, just to see how hast I can be in relation to others, not hoping to win anything. I did win this year's record for most punctures in 1 ride - 3. I won a cup cake!

Just enjoy the cycling. Oh and join Strava for free and challenge yourself.

PS. I fixed your spelling in the thread title.
  • I'm on my phone, but look up the story of the chap from Bristol who recently went from overweight smoker to elite licence holder within the space of a year.

If you've got it in you, age would seem to be of secondary importance. I don't race (as yet) but it seems to me that the question you need to ask yourself is not whether or not you're too old but whether or not you could hack the diet and the training. If the answer to either is no, then I don't think it's for you. You could however join a club and do some club 10s (etc), which might help your decision making.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Age is no barrier, I'm 49 and have been back to cycling for about four years now. I have gone from chucking my guts up after only six miles to riding centuries and competing in TT in that time. I never give up trying to improve and I hope to move from bronze level TTing to silver next year and aim to race all the major distances next season. I was at a 25TT this year and was pointed to an old gentleman who had just finished in 1hr 10m, he was 82 :shock:
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    I think you should keep pushing to be the best you can at any age.I recommend Time Trials they really give you something to work too and they are a great way to see if your improving.Also the fitter you get the more enjoyable your liesure rides get.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    50 next summer and training to win age-group triathlon races - should be sub 1 hour in sprint events come the summer. Capable of 5hr 100 mile rides (faster on TT set-up).

Age generally no real barrier to long-distance work if the time can be found to get the miles in. Go for it but don't necessarily expect miracles. Depends on your potential.
  • Gizmodo wrote:

LOL - I think you'll find you actually made it worse.
    Ridley Orion
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I started cycling just before I turned 49. I was 50 this year and in less than 2 years I've come on a lot, with ambitions to move on quite a bit yet.

The question is not whether you are too old, but how much do you want it?

This is one of our local guys,http://local.stv.tv/deeside/news/sport/19470-deeside-thistle-rider-claims-national-championship/ who beat me a couple of times this year on straight times - that is before his age related handicap was deducted.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Gizmodo wrote:

LOL - I think you'll find you actually made it worse.
    Damn, that's what too much red wine does for you :lol:
  • Blimey nice to see I'm not alone I'm going to just try and get fitter and get lighter, I'll try and a sportive in the spring have a 30 miler in mind for a starter and then see what training I can get in during the week. Unfortunately have a young family so don't get much time cycling to work is to long about 70 miles but do try and cycle some of my commute but getting up at 4am takes some doing. Thanks for the advice it seems life does begin after 40 .....
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Pigtail wrote:
    I started cycling just before I turned 49. I was 50 this year and in less than 2 years I've come on a lot, with ambitions to move on quite a bit yet.

The question is not whether you are too old, but how much do you want it?

This is one of our local guys,http://local.stv.tv/deeside/news/sport/19470-deeside-thistle-rider-claims-national-championship/ who beat me a couple of times this year on straight times - that is before his age related handicap was deducted.

I am truly humbled.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    I'm 45 and have been cycling a year now. My main aim is to loose wait and to get fit, I consider myself too old for racing - road racing that is. I joined a club this summer, I am fater than some and clearly slower than others (there are several cat 2 racers in my local club).

I might try some TTs next year, just to see how hast I can be in relation to others, not hoping to win anything. I did win this year's record for most punctures in 1 ride - 3. I won a cup cake!

Just enjoy the cycling. Oh and join Strava for free and challenge yourself.

Completely ironically I presume?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    There's a guy round my way that's almost 80 and pretty much canes me on any ride. For his 73 birthday he did a century in 4 hours 20 minutes! He also matched my 12 hour TT distance when he was in his fifties without all the fun modern aero benefits on a bike that must have weight a tonne.

So yeah, you can be competitive indefinitely as far as I'm concerned.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I was thinking I had left it too late, really wish I had started road cycling 10 years ago, A guy who is a Cat2, and just unreal on a MTB and Road bike told me he was 44, and only started on the road at 37 which gives me a huge positive thinking to getting to his level in a couple of years.
  • depends who your competing against ;)