Shimano brake caliper, leaking seals

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
The daughters rear brake caliper (M765 XT) has just started leaking from the piston seals, any suggestions other than getting a new caliper?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• new seals!
  • The Rookie
    Link to manual and seals..... Shimano are not dismantleable from my previous enquiry.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What?
  • That are.....just not by you. Usually lbs have to order the bits. Or try somewhere like ukbikestore.
  • The Rookie
    OK, when I enquirer before, everyone was adamant they were not seviceable and that it was just a whole caliper swap, will ask the LBS but a used caliper may well be cheaper!
  • The service parts for shimano are much harder to come by, but some lbs's can get them and you may well find 2nd hand is a cheaper option. So you're not completely wrong in your thinking.
  • The Rookie
    The Shimano tech docs don't cover caliper breakdown or PN's or anything - new caliper it is, especially as I've also found one piston is seized (and it's the blind side one, not where the acess port is).
  • Not worth messing around with then tbh (as you rightly say). Possibly a good time to upgrade to the newer style shimano brakes, depending on what you want/have to spend
  • The Rookie
    The Daughters a student and we're already putting new forks on it, so I'll just get a Shimano caliper that fits and plug and play it.......
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    That are.....just not by you. Usually lbs have to order the bits

The service parts for shimano are much harder to come by, but some lbs's can get them

Not as far as I know, and I have a pretty good idea of what spares are available for Shimano components,

It is new calliper time I am afraid. The M765 was on a banjo fitting so you may need a new hose too. Personally I would go for a Deore M596 calliper which has a straight in fitting and then buy a 8H2 9801 which is a straight connector kit. Chop the banjo off existing hose, slip the bolt and olive on, pop the insert in and attach to the calliper.
  • The Rookie
    Thanks Mister P.
    Trying to get some XT/R calipers if I can as the frame uses a pass through hose and if we cut the Banjo off it's an expence to put one back on later, plus it keeps shortening the hose!
  • mister p
    The other option is to keep the existing hose, buy a current XTR / XT / SLX calliper and a new longer banjo bolt (part number 8JA 9803) to fit it. This way you get the newest calliper with the ceramic pistons and newest pad shape but don't have to shorten the hose.
  • The Rookie
    LOL I would do but the daughter is a student, so that's not going to happen!
  • mister p
    £33 for SLX calliper, banjo bolt and pads which will work with your exisiting hose. Even within student budgets?
  • The Rookie
    Hmm thanks for that find, looks like it will do the trick!