Chain device or clutch rear mech?

monster-mash
monster-mash Posts: 586
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am in the position where i fit a traditional chain device for my 1 x 10 set up or go different and try the new clutch system fitted to shimano's XTR rear mechs. Its a new build so gotto get a rear mech anyway.

Anyone tried the clutch rear mechs?

Comments

• Yes, but slx now come in that too. Not 170 of xtr
  • SLX too mmm 8) did notice Xt anyway its the concept that I want info on - will I drop the chain using the clutch rear mech or should i go chain device up front :?

Thanks dude
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    I have the shadow plus slx and love it - tried a couple of bionicons but they both broke (no hassle getting money back off bionicon - v happy with their customer service) - just done a long weekend in Wales and never lost my chain on any of the downhills, last time I lost it about half a dozen times over the weekend.

Front gera changing is very heavy though as the clutch only works on the rear mech.
  • Slow1
    Slow1 Posts: 71
    Thinking of doing the same. Am running 2x10 with a rubbish chain device. Thinking of gong to a SRAM XO or X9 type 2 with the clutch and leaving the chainguide roller off.

Anyone tried this?
    Norco Aurum 2 2012
    Spec Stumpy Expert EVO 2011
    Scott Scale 50 2011
    Scott Speedster S30 2010
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Depends what you want to do with it...

I tried just the clutch mech on the Camber. Not good enough, maybe for pure XC stuff it'd cut it but even moderately lumpy terrain had it off.

So I added a top guide, and that works very well- much better than a top guide alone would usually work. Chain can still fall off- though mostly when not riding, frinstance when lifting over gates or pushing up sections, things like that. Or, backpedalling. Never had it come off in normal riding though.

I think if I was to put one on the big bike I'd still fit a double guide anyway tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist