Help with shifters

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited November 2012 in Road general
Hi,

Long story but will give you the short version. My mate in work has 2 road bikes and he borrows me one and we go out for a few miles. I've been on both bikes and each one has different shifters. I have just picked up a 2nd hand frame and am building it up slowly. One of his bikes to change gear up you push the silver lever, to change down you push the black one, I personally don't like that set up. On his other bike you move the lever to change up, but to change down there is a little button/trigger where your thumb sits. I have asked him if he knows what they are but he's not sure, any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• First one sounds like Shimano

product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+bikecomponents+ST+ST-4500_600x450_v1_m56577569830637185_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

Second ones sound like campag

58316.jpg

If you already have some of the drive chain parts you might be limited on which you can use as Campag and shimano mechs and shifters are not compatible as far as I am aware (I maybe wrong)
  • smithy05
    smithy05 Posts: 114
    The one with the thumb piece is likely to be Shimano Sora (cheaper version). The silver and black lever could be shimano tiagra or 105, ultegra, dura ace etc.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I'd agree - most likely Shimano Sora with the thumb button. Unless I am mistaken, New Soras have now changed to the dual brake-shifter method and abandoned the thumb button. Thumb buttons are good for cold weather and big gloves.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Bwgan wrote:
    Hi,

Long story but will give you the short version. My mate in work has 2 road bikes and he borrows me one and we go out for a few miles. I've been on both bikes and each one has different shifters. I have just picked up a 2nd hand frame and am building it up slowly. One of his bikes to change gear up you push the silver lever, to change down you push the black one, I personally don't like that set up. On his other bike you move the lever to change up, but to change down there is a little button/trigger where your thumb sits. I have asked him if he knows what they are but he's not sure, any ideas?

Cheers
    If he "borrows" you one surely its yours and you know what shifters it has?

Just joshing you, as per the guys above, Sora with the thumb button, 105 etc etc with the two levers, which you say you dont like, then you either need to commit to a life of Low grade old Sora on Shimano, or go to Campag or Sram
  • Thumb shift is either any Campagnolo or low end Shimano such as older Sora or 2300. Campag shifters have the thumb shift lower down so that you can use on the drops as well as on the hoods. With Sora it is much more difficult to use the thumb shift on the drops. However, even if it is lower end Shimano, if you like it , then use it.
  • Bwgan
    Cheers for the replies guys, I am only a newbie to the road so at present what ever works for me
  • I'm going to upgrade my bike and will be selling some sora shifters with the thumb lever. They'll be going up for sale if you want them.
  • Bwgan
    When you thinking, skint till the end of the month!! What sort of price you looking for?
  • Yeah, whatever - my upgrades will arrive next week and then I'll have to get round to fitting them so it will probably be next month anyway. Not sure what I'll want for them yet but it wont be loads - I'm sure we can come to a suitable arrangement. I'll take a few photos and send you a PM.