Noisy drivetrain...chain, chainring?

duckson
duckson Posts: 961
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Went out yesterday on a run from work and noticed my drivetrain seemed to be quite noisy, as in the running of it (changed gear fine, chain not catching on cage, normal when freewheeling etc).
So this morning i've been having a look at it and the noise seems to be coming from the chainring end from what i can tell.
Thought it might be the bottom bracket but took the chain off the ring and the BB was smooth, no play and no noise when spun.
Cleaned and lubed the chain (Morgan Blue cleaner and Syn lube) but this has made no difference (it was cleaned prior to the run above anyway).
Measured the chain and it was barely 1/32" longer when using a ruler and looking at the link pins at 0" to 12" on the ruler which is ok....yes?

So does this sound like it can be the chain itself or could it be a combination of the chain and large chainring (see pics attached, not sure you if would class this as worn).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5242ewfq48bnp9a/IMAG0309.jpg

Cassette looks ok to me
https://www.dropbox.com/s/83gzc91kcu2eog3/IMAG0310.jpg
Cheers, Stu

Comments

• Could just be a dirty chain. It's all very well oiling it on a regular basis but if you don't clean it properly then all you are doing it giving the dirt more to hang onto. Even if you rag it clean every now and then you are still leaving all the dirt inside the bushes. Invest in a chain cleaner and give it a very good clean. I doubt you'll cure it but you can make a huge improvement until it is time for a new chain.
  • duckson
    Well as i said i have cleaned it, not with a chain cleaner but with a toothbrush, rag and Morgan Blue chain cleaner. Then rinsed it all with warm water.
    If the chainring looks ok i might just try a new chain, got the bike (Boardman Team Carbon with SRAM Rival) second hand so don't know how many miles its done.
    Cheers, Stu
  • A new chain might be in order. Those chainrings look a little worn but they should last a while longer. You can tell when chainrings and cassette/freewheel need changing as the performance will noticeably diminish. The chain will also visibly not engage with the teeth, in extreme cases!
  • If chainring is clean, jockey wheels are clean and it's all aligned then chain is all it can be really. Thing is, once it's got a decent amount of dirt in there and had it there for a while you'll never really get it all out. Whenever I buy a 2nd hand bike I always buy a new chain and cassette as a matter of course.
  • duckson
    Thanks, think i'll throw £22 at a KMC X10L from Ribble, pick it up today before they close.
    Fingers crossed that sorts it out, if not its not a great deal of money spent.
    Cheers, Stu
  • It's no bad idea to have more than one chain anyway. Some people like to have two or three on the go and swap them over; it's a perfectly valid approach.
  • duckson
    Yea suppose thats a good idea.
    I should add that i have changed wheels (one 26 mile run last Sunday was fine though) but i am using the same cassette as before, it seems all lined up ok and there is no trouble shifting or clicking etc. Sounds more like rough running like the chain/drivetrain is gritty more than anything. The current chain is stained black in and wont come fully clean and nice and silver.
    Hard to diagnose i suppose over the web!
    Cheers, Stu
  • duckson
    Well i've replaced it and at first it didnt seem any better, but lubed it up (guess that helps!) and took it for a run (only 500 yards or so) and it seems better than before.

Seems to have stretched a bit as well, this picture is over the entire length comparing it to the new chain:-
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpo35jd1ojzshcr/IMAG0311.jpg

Looks bad but I guess its the full length of the chain and so doesnt look so bad as the measurements are only taken over 12" normally.

I just put the new one on at the same length as the one i took off, take it this will be ok....
    Cheers, Stu