Inov-8 Pro Race 4 bag - comfort revelation!

Bordersroadie
Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
I used to love my little 10lt rucsack, fitting in just what I needed for my lightweight 12 mile rural commute and being held securely with its shoulder, chest and waist straps.

After one day of commuting with the Pro Race 4 waist pack, the rucsack seems like a very poor tool for the job.

The new Pro Race 4 holds 4lt plus a handy outside shock-cord cargo net for attaching extras if needed. For my particular commute, this is more than enough for my clean teeshirt, socks and boxers, sandwiches, fruit, phone, notebook/diary, gilet, waterproof, and other bits and bobs. It's designed as a lightweight running pack and holds a (separately purchased) water 2lt bladder if you want. The cargo net is great for the ride home (which is often a lot less cold than the early morning ride), where I can attach a removed layer or two.

The difference in comfort vs the rucsack really is a revelation. No need to do up the waist belt tight, just get it sitting in a comfy position on your hips and it doesn't move, even when stand-up climbing, . The other benefit is the freedom from all those tight straps and the lack of sweat on my back and everywhere that the straps make contact. When I'm in a normal riding position, I genuinely forget it's there, which couldn't be said for the rucsack. It's also nice when I get to the workshop to be able to just swivel it round on my hips to get the front door keys out.

I did loads of research before getting this one. I know Meanredspider has had one for ages and is a big fan and his reviews helped my decision (thank you) but having got one I'm so impressed that I thought I'd post this mini review since 'net info on the product is scarce.

It's obviously not applicable to the laptop brigade, but if you do a lightweight commute with a small backpack, I cannot emphasis how much better an alternative this very lightweight and well-constructed waist pack/bum bag is.

prorace4.jpg

Comments

• prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    AC5363A9-0DCB-4444-BC1BA262D1D36E04.jpg

I think even you realise the lack of responses to this thread make you...
    a. a dodgy geezer and/or
    b. a social pariah
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Ha ha, you could be right, those two things did cross my mind!

My wife might agree with you on both, and, on reflection, perhaps I got a bit over-excited about what is, I accept, a fairly mundane product.

One would be perfectly justified in thinking I perhaps need to get a life. Apart from being a newly-born bumbag fan, I'm fairly normal

ish. :cry:
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    :oops: Have to fess up...I have a ten or twelve year old Cannondale bumbag that I have never quite gotten around to throwing out!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...