Thinking of this FS XC bike

62nn old geezer
62nn old geezer Posts: 15
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm after a FS XC bike and thinking of this one, any better options at this price.
Canal paths, bridle ways, long open flat speed sections etc No big down hills !
Good report on this site when it first came out.

[urlhttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64991][/url]

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Kona's Magic Link rear suspension is awful. It just doesn't work how Kona says it should. My local shop had a demo bike which I took out when my bike was in for a service.
    For the riding you do it's worth considering a carbon hardtail. Carbon has more flex than aluminium so gives a more comfortable ride, you could go for one with 29" wheels for even better comfort.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't comment on the magic link suspension, but your are getting a lot of spec for your money.
    I have an earlier model(4 Deluxe) and it's an excellent, light XC bike.
    The rest of the post about carbon is not strictly true. Carbon MAY be, but it depends more on the design than the material. Similarly with wheel size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    BR review - higher specced model but same design - seem to like the bike, just let down by the price. At the sale price looks like a bargain.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... l-11-44883
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Was thinking the spec looked really good for the price and as I can't bunny hop
    I wasn't bothered about that bit about the Magic link in the BR review.
    If it helps me get up hills easier I will be well pleased.

Cheers 62
  • cooldad
    Yeah, I'm not much of a bunny hopper neither.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends whether the bunny works for playboy on how good I am at hopping one.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Bunny girls? Playboy? Christ I thought I was old and past it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not being able to bunny hop is not really the problem with magic link. The problem is that you effectively have two different spring rates which means you can either set the rebound correctly for the first half of the stroke or the second half so it's either not recovering between small bumps or kicking back off big bumps and loosing traction. Other than that it's a nice enough frame.
    If you shop around you could get a Giant Anthem for a similar price which has probably the best full sus xc frame.