Improving Grip

marshall_a
marshall_a Posts: 90
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
hello all, first post on this side of the divide but after I bit of help.

ok, bought a road bike at the start of the summer (boardman road team) and been putting the miles in, getting quicker etc etc etc. but swapped the tyres over very early on to Conti GP4000s 23cc. Now yesterday I had my first falls, 1st one nothing too bad, low speed front washout on a white line (own stupid fault then), but the 2nd had me in A&E needing stitches. This one was at a higher speed on a bend so was leaning it over alittle and both wheels just went. Now I'm not discounting oil as it was straight after a railway crossing, so plenty of stationary cars every 30mins and with the damp conditions perhaps should have slowed more than usual, but should I really be thinking about a different tyre for winter riding? or would dropping psi (currently 110-120 range) help? I live out in the country so muddy roads are common esp. now, if that makes a difference, and also wondering about up'ing to 25cc if the bike can handle them. The local A&E is also going to start closing at weekends soon :? so ideally don't want to be making a habbit of it.

So different compound, different pressures, different sizes? yes\no\or not really too much difference over what I'm currently running?

TIA

Andy

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Two crashes in one day ? Unlucky.

I run my GP400s at about 95 in the dry.

If its wet I'll go a bit lower. I've done plenty of wet rides and 1000s of miles and never had a problem with them.

Its possible you were just a little shaky after the first crash which might have affected your riding after ?

Personally I'd let some air out and back it down if its wet.
  • yep 2 in 1 day and as for being shaky, I don't think so, perhaps complacent if anything, as I was expecting to slide on the previous corner if anywhere which was yellow hashed. Got to say I was shocked just how quick I went down, much different to my MTB where you at least get a split second to correct.
  • I've never had a problem with GP4000s either, although I only ride 25s now (for racing, training and commuting) and I wouldn't use anything else. I usually run mine between 90 and 100.

The roads _can_ be a bit crazy at this time of the year though. I take it easy round bends when it's wet.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,147
    25mm (and a bit lower pressure) will increase the contact patch

but as above, it's not the tyres, it's the conditions

the compound on gp4000s is one of the stickier, it's good in the wet

but in wet/muddy conditions, especially on white lines or metal covers, you need to go slower, try to avoid crossing lines or covers other than in a straight line - even then wheels can slip if the metalwork has projecting edges or recesses

on dry roads, grit/gravel/etc. also reduce grip, it often builds up on corners off the line taken by vehicles, avoid the edges of the road
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    How many miles have the tyres done? Could be getting a bit worn out which might explain the loss of grip...
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    It just seems you're a little inexperienced, you need to take it easy and be more cautious in the wet, regardless of the tyre. I use 4000's during off season and they're better than any other tyres I've used in terms of grip. This doesn't mean you will not slip, I have done so too, I don't blame the tyre however as it was my own fault.
  • ok, thanks, will drop a few psi and take it from there then. this set has done approx 1,500km if my dates are right, and the worn indicators show plenty of life. I'm sure it was my fault or oil so will learn to tailor my speed to the conditions also :oops:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You could have super sticky tyres but they're not going to make any difference at the mo, the roads are just greasy and hell to ride on. It was purely experience that kept me upright on a couple of occasions yesterday.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    How heavy are you? Unless you're a fairly big unit you don't need to run at anything like those sorts of pressures.

On cold wet roads you will have generally less grip...there's not a lot you can do about it apart from learn when to slow down more. It helps to lead with the rear brake a bit into a corner to get a feel for the conditions.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Well I'm not really a climber, probably about 90kg atm