Cold ears!

whitebirdyman
whitebirdyman Posts: 29
edited November 2012 in Road general
I manage to stay warm enough generally but my ears get cold. Currently I have a thin Helly Hanson balaclava which I have under my helmet andI roll up to so it covers my head and ears as much as possible, but it isn't great. Can someone recommend an under-helmet skull cap or something similar with good ear coverage. My ears are fairly normal size, I am not stuggling because they are bigger than normal!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looked at Cat Ears?

http://www.cat-ears.com/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    My altura skullcap covers the ear fine.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,941
    I've got one of these....
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/castelli/trofero-beanie-ec033740

very comfortable, warm, and fits well under my helmet (Uvex). The peak can be flipped back but in the down position it's good for keeping both a low sun out your eyes and helps keeps glasses dry in the rain.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Have you tried a 'Buff'? For me, this has been an indispensable piece of kit for years now, especially now the temperatures are dropping, not just for cycling, but running and just as a cooler weather beanie.
    They are thin enough to comfortably fit under a helmet, and warm enough as you fold them over to create a double layer if worn as a skull cap. They can also be worn as a headband, a (very thin) balaclava, and also used to cover the back of the neck if worn as a single layer.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    A Buff is the answer to your problems. Inside out, pull it over your head then back up again to double it. Adjust so your ears are covered but you can still see out. Arrange the open end to suit and put on helmet if desired.

This time of year I wear two; one as above and another round my neck which I can pull up to protect my neck and face.

In the depths of winter the neck one has a polartec fleece section.

You can never have too many Buffs.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I use buff for lower, skullcap for upper
  • MTFU! :)
  • The picture of Wiggins currently on the Telegraph site says he is wearing a "lycra headscarf"; is that the same as a buff?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... crash.html
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    edited November 2012
    I use a castelli headband, was only 8 quid and its nice and cosy and does the job if keeping my lugs warm well.
  • Thanks for the tips on buffs, are there any makes or types that are better than others?
  • Thanks for the tips on buffs, are there any makes or types that are better than others?

Sorry I said buff but I meant headband. This is mine - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom.

Managed to get it black/red though. I recommend it, very simple and has kept my ears warm down to temperatures of minus 2!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Thanks for the tips on buffs, are there any makes or types that are better than others?

I have one genuine Buff (the one that has the fleecy bit) and two cheapos. One of these came free with a cycling mag and the other was a freebie from work (promotional giveaways for farmers; garish orange with product logos in purple, but hey, it was free!)

Google for the buff shop
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    keef66 wrote:
    A Buff is the answer to your problems. Inside out, pull it over your head then back up again to double it. Adjust so your ears are covered but you can still see out. Arrange the open end to suit and put on helmet if desired.

This time of year I wear two; one as above and another round my neck which I can pull up to protect my neck and face.

In the depths of winter the neck one has a polartec fleece section.

You can never have too many Buffs.

+1 - I may go and get another one tomorrow before a ride.
    I had two, but both were lost skiing this year. Forgetful drunk... :D
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • willow71uk wrote:
    MTFU! :)

^ This....
    I have an 80's headband tucked under my helmet to keep my ears and forehead warm. Old skool like Happy Shopper.
  • I wear one of these, I think I'd be too hot with something that covered my entire head. I tried a similar Gore one but it was so noisy around my ears. I picked my Dare2b one up from Halfords for £6. http://www.outdoorclearance.co.uk/index ... googlebase
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    I wear one of these, I think I'd be too hot with something that covered my entire head. I tried a similar Gore one but it was so noisy around my ears. I picked my Dare2b one up from Halfords for £6.

Good suggestion. Now costs £6.99 but currently 20% off.
  • Santini+H20+Skull+Cap_large.jpg

I have this one - Santini H20 Skull Cap. It goes under my crash hat easily, keeps my lugs warm, and doesn't cook my head. They are unisex.
    Ridley Orion
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Another vote for the buff, so versatile. I have it round the lower part of my head covering my mouth and pull the back up to cover my ears, works really well. When I stop I do the bandana thing to stop my head getting too cold. The genuine buffs have all the configurations on the packaging and they have all the videos on the site
  • Another vote for Buffs, wear one as a headband around my ears and forehead and another around my neck which I can pull up over my chin. Really versatile little bit of kit.
  • GATES
    GATES Posts: 53
    A skull cap with ears will see you right or it does me