Cycling in Thailand

marco67
marco67 Posts: 91
edited November 2012 in Tour & expedition
I've just come back from a two week cycling holiday in Thailand - from the outskirts of Bangkok to Phuket Island.

The trip is designed as an opportunity to escape the grim UK Winter weather and escape to warm weather, relaxed cycling, beach side accomodation, good food and cold beer - OK, the cold beer is optional, but thoroughly well deserved at the end of a warm day on the road.

The holiday was run by a new company called Painted Roads Cycling run by David 'Walks' Walker. David has been based in SE Asia and run tours for other companies in the region for several years and has a great understanding of the area and the people who live there.

I had been on a previous tour in Laos with David so jumped at the opportunity to go on this tour. There were 12 people on the tour and within 10 minutes of meeting and sharing a cold Singha beer everyone was ready and raring to set off on our tour.

The cycling was mostly on roads that quite frankly put our UK roads to shame, there were some off road sections during the first couple of days but nothing in any way taxing.

Accomodation each evening was extremely comfortable and usually directly next to a beach overlooking the Gulf of Thailand, the food was traditional Thai and no one was left wanting more and did i mention the cold beer.

Over the 12 cycling days everyone at one stage or another cycled with everyone else and good friends were made, chatting about completely random things helped the km's pass by - the roads were mostly flat, a few undulations here and there, but certainly a trip that could be attempted by a more 'casual' cyclist.

The time flew by and we arrived at our destination on Phuket, we arrived and all of a sudden had arrived in a tourist destination which made us realise just how unspoiled by tourists the previous 12 days had been - well and truly of the tourist beaten track, a land passed by as they whizz by on an air conditioned coach!

But even the final destination avoided the really busy parts of Thailand, it was great place to finish and put your feet up for a couple of days before making your way to the airport and heading home.

If you are looking for a relaxed cycling holiday i can thoroughly recommend this trip, David also runs slightly more strenuous trips - but I suggest you visit his website to see just what is on offer. Here is a link

http://www.paintedroads.com/

Also check out Painted Roads Cycling on Facebook, the blogs David posts of his travels are well worth reading - and if you still have doubts about booking, the pictures will convince you.

Let me finish by making it clear that other than having become a good friend with David who runs Painted Roads, I have no interest in the business other than i've just been on one of their holidays and I will be definately be going on another soon.

Check it out!
Ciao Marco