Upgrades

Mac418s
Mac418s Posts: 12
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I am new to cycling ( aug this year)and at the moment enjoying going out on my bike. I recently entered the exmoor beast and have a number of sportives already booked for next year. Already discovering that I cannot climb hills at all and struggling to keep up with friends on other road racing bikes on the flat. ( i have swapped bikes and on a flitish route found it very easy to maintain a pace they found difficult on my bike) i own a tricross elite 2012 model, recently changed the tyres to a 700-23 from the 32 that came with the bike. My question is would it be worth while/possible to change the rear cassette to a SRAM 11-32 and front to a ultegra 52-39-30. And would that help with both top end speed and climbing easier?

I purchased the tricross as I wanted a all rounder bike and still think this is the best bike I could have chosen with the budget I had.
With regards to my first 100km ride it took 6hrs10min for me to complete the exmoor beast and completed it with out getting off my bike to push.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I figure that your current gearing is standard for that model so will be Tiagra 10 speed with a 50/39/30 triple and 12-30T cassette. This is a big range of gears and more than capable of propelling you quickly.

So, the best upgrade you can make is...to ride your bike. Keep your money in your pocket as you have already made the best change (tyres, that is...but make sure you have a nice set that is also ready for the winter, search around for some options but you may find that 25s are just as fast as the 23s and some say faster!).
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I agree with Bobbinogs that changing gearing from a 12-30 at back to an 11-32 isn't going to make that much difference. With a triple at the front you already have a lot of low gears for climbing and high gears if you need them. You just need to practice climbing and I'm sure you will get better.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I figure that your current gearing is standard for that model so will be Tiagra 10 speed with a 50/39/30 triple and 12-30T cassette. This is a big range of gears and more than capable of propelling you quickly.

So, the best upgrade you can make is...to ride your bike. Keep your money in your pocket as you have already made the best change (tyres, that is...but make sure you have a nice set that is also ready for the winter, search around for some options but you may find that 25s are just as fast as the 23s and some say faster!).

This. You already have very low gearing; I'll spare you the 'you could climb a wall with that!', but it doesn't get much lower. Hills are climbed and speeds attained and sustained through fitness not kit.
  • Thanks, i will just keep working at it.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you want to buy something get a computer with a cadence function (such as the Cateye Strada double wireless). If you can get your cadence sorted out it makes life much easier. Most new cyclists tend to pedal at too low a speed and grind high gears. But the best thing is to just train more, you'll get there in the end :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Changing your wheels would likely be a much better upgrade. Rotational weight is twice as important (very roughly) as the weight of stuff that doesn't spin. You may well find that the standard wheels are not only heavy, but also floppy and absorbing your pedalling effort as they flex.
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    Fr Howie wrote:
    Changing your wheels would likely be a much better upgrade. Rotational weight is twice as important (very roughly) as the weight of stuff that doesn't spin. You may well find that the standard wheels are not only heavy, but also floppy and absorbing your pedalling effort as they flex.

+1
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Upgrades in order of importance for a newbie (IMHO):

1. Loose weight- you that is - ride more eat less
    2. Work on your technique - improve your cadence, get in the drops, get out the saddle and improve your cornering
    3. Bike fit - seat height, stem length etc.
    4. Get stronger - fitness will come with practice, increasing your cardio vascular system
    5. Improve your fuelling and hydration - drink and eat correctly
    6. Pedals and shoes - clip-less pedals with stiff soled shoes
    7. Clothing - clothes that flap in the wind can only slow you down
    8. Tires
    9. Wheels - lighter and stiffer
    10. Other bike improvements to reduce weight and improve aerodynamics