Epic Bleed Solutions - Good Buy

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Highly recommend these for home bleeding kits. With oil, the whole kit (with fluid) for avid brakes costs 12.99 - whereas the official avid kit is nearly £30.00. I've never bled brakes before and from what I heard it was quite fiddly, however I managed to succesfully bleed the brakes in about twenty minutes first time. Epic Bleed Solutions - good buy :mrgreen:

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    They are good the instructions are written by somebody who has done it themselves. Not by someone who probably last rode a bike when they were four then translated by google into Engrish.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • pesky_jones
    TBH i wasn't actually convinced with the instructions. I understood them easily, like you say - they were simple but it seemed stuff was missing so i went online and watched the SRAM vids. I think they missed out stuff like pulling and pushing the plunger back and forwards to get air out of the hose after you've pushed the fluid through. I was just pleased with the quality of components regarding their price! Half expected to get a syringe with holes in or something
  • stubs
    In my experience the SRAM instructions are rubbish you dont need to do half what they say.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • pesky_jones
    Oh, I found it quite helpfull. When i did that pulling and pushing of the plunger etc. a load of air bubbles came out of the hose and into the syringe. If i hadn't of followed SRAMS instructions, they would still be in the hose now.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    +1, fast delivery, good kit, instructions even I could follow.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Thanks for the link, might need something for Shimano Saints in the future. I love bleeding brakes. It gets me so angry that I forget all my other problems. Very theraputic!
  • pesky_jones
    Thanks for the link, might need something for Shimano Saints in the future. I love bleeding brakes. It gets me so angry that I forget all my other problems. Very theraputic!

Yeah surprisingly I didn't get that angry. Kind of a let down seeing as i decided to bleed the breaks to forget anger issues with my ex. She probally works for epic bleed solutions. B1tch ruins everything.
  • Thanks for the link, might need something for Shimano Saints in the future. I love bleeding brakes. It gets me so angry that I forget all my other problems. Very theraputic!

Give me a shout when these need doing. I've got the proper workshop bleed kit for 'em that costs a bloody fortune to buy!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352

Give me a shout when these need doing. I've got the proper workshop bleed kit for 'em that costs a bloody fortune to buy!
    Ah cool cheers smoothy. I'm doing a new build at the moment with my current crop of parts and I want to give everything a full going over; wheels trued, new bearings, freehubs cleaned, and brakes bled. I might ask come xmas hols when I've time to give what will be beyond TLC.
  • no worries mate. You have my number :)
  • Think I used them and wasn't impressed.

The screw bit into the avid lever didn't seal properly so I couldn't bleed my brakes :( Ended up getting the genuine belld kit from avid.

Have to admit, their instructions were great though, used them with the proper kit lol.
  • Thanks Pesky Jones and others for the great comments, we appreciate it.
    The screw bit into the avid lever didn't seal properly so I couldn't bleed my brakes :( Ended up getting the genuine belld kit from avid.

Northern Monkey, we've redeveloped our Avid kit quite a few times now. You may have tried one of our earlier bleed kits. Our latest bleed adaptors are virtually identical to the Genuine Avid's.. (only better cause ours support a wider range of brakes :P)

We'd be happy to send you one over to try if you'd like..
  • stubs
    Thanks Pesky Jones and others for the great comments, we appreciate it.

Northern Monkey, we've redeveloped our Avid kit quite a few times now. You may have tried one of our earlier bleed kits. Our latest bleed adaptors are virtually identical to the Genuine Avid's.. (only better cause ours support a wider range of brakes :P)

We'd be happy to send you one over to try if you'd like..

Did I forget to mention my adapter wouldnt seal either :wink:
  • stubs
    Oh, I found it quite helpfull. When i did that pulling and pushing of the plunger etc. a load of air bubbles came out of the hose and into the syringe. If i hadn't of followed SRAMS instructions, they would still be in the hose now.

Never bothered with the de gassing thing Its a load of bull poo in my opinion, no other brake manufacturer reccomends it. As long as you leave the bottle of brakefluid to stand for a few hours there shouldnt be any air in the fluid.
  • stubs wrote:
    Did I forget to mention my adapter wouldnt seal either :wink:

Haha, nice try Stubs. :wink:
  • pesky_jones
    stubs wrote:

Never bothered with the de gassing thing Its a load of bull poo in my opinion, no other brake manufacturer reccomends it. As long as you leave the bottle of brakefluid to stand for a few hours there shouldnt be any air in the fluid.

Leave the bottle to stand for a couple of hours? does air not get in when you suck it up with the syringe? Cheers I will try this.
  • I wouldn't recommend leaving the fluid bottle open for hours, exposed to the air as DOT fluid will absorb moisture from the ambient atmosphere reducing the boiling point. Always replace the lid as soon as possible.

Also de-gassing the syringes is something which only seems to be advocated by Avid's instructions. It does seem to work a little but it's impossible to remove all of the air from the fluid anyway. I usually do it twice and forget the rest.

It's more important to rid the syringes of any air present in the syringe after drawing the fluid into the syringe. Providing the adaptor is immersed under the fluid when you pull back on the syringe plunger the amount of air should be minimal anyway.
  • stubs
    When I said leave the bottle to stand I didnt mean with the top off. Just let it stand so any bubbles that have been caused by it being joggled about on the way back from the shop work there way to top.

I have just finished putting new brake shoes on a mates car had to rewasher one of the wheel cylinders and you wouldnt believe the gunk that came out when I bled the brakes. The fluid was brown with actual lumps in it, flushed everything through and now it stops rather than gradually lose speed.