Jacket / jersey advice

atakd
atakd Posts: 42
edited November 2012 in Road general
I'm looking at getting a warm top for the winter but not having much luck finding what I want. I've have an Aldi winter jacket which has been pretty good for £17 though the arms are too short and I'd like to replace this with something similar but better quality, i.e. thick material, with 2 , preferably 3, back pockets but not a 'shell' type jacket. The jerseys I've seen all seem a lot thinner than the Aldi top and the jackets all seem to be shells short on pockets and needing layers underneath which I want to avoid except for subzero temps. I've tried http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/altura-transformer-windproof-item193533.html#info
but it is too thin.
Anyone got any suggestions what to go for?

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Santini do some nice winter jacket/jerseys that are more like a jersey than your usual soft shell, i've got the orbit but i do prefer my Endura windchill when it gets cold.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I don't understand why you want a thick jersey. If you're wearing a good baselayer and the jersey is (part) windproof then you don't need lots of padding. The Altura Transformer or the Santini Touch jersey/jacket (from Prendas.co.uk) are ideal everyday jerseys/jackets through the winter. I have a Santini Touch and it's too warm for anything >10 degrees, but with the right baselayer is good to zero degrees or less.
    More problems but still living....
  • atakd
    Bozman wrote:
    Santini do some nice winter jacket/jerseys that are more like a jersey than your usual soft shell, i've got the orbit but i do prefer my Endura windchill when it gets cold.
    Cheers. I'd seen the Endura but thought it was waterproof so not v. breathable. I now see this is not the case so will have another look.
  • atakd
    amaferanga wrote:
    I don't understand why you want a thick jersey. If you're wearing a good baselayer and the jersey is (part) windproof then you don't need lots of padding. The Altura Transformer or the Santini Touch jersey/jacket (from Prendas.co.uk) are ideal everyday jerseys/jackets through the winter. I have a Santini Touch and it's too warm for anything >10 degrees, but with the right baselayer is good to zero degrees or less.

I suppose I want to stick with a system that's worked for me. I'm used to the idea of wearing a single layer when it's cold on the bike, even though I don't for hill walking and stuff. Maybe I need to be more open minded?
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    atakd wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

I suppose I want to stick with a system that's worked for me. I'm used to the idea of wearing a single layer when it's cold on the bike, even though I don't for hill walking and stuff. Maybe I need to be more open minded?

I also picked up one of those winter jackets just for cold weather commutes, but find it waaaaaay too hot! Honestly, get a base layer and a thin jersey and you'll be notice the difference. You can get winter jerseys that are thin but lined with micro-fleece and these will be much better than the aldi jacket and regulate your temp far better
  • amaferanga
    A mistake people sometimes make with their bike clothing in winter is to wear too much so that they sweat a lot going up hills and then they get a proper chill going down hill or if they have to stop for a bit. They then think they need a warmer jacket or more layers when in fact the opposite is true. Usually you want to be cold when you start off (not warm or just right even) otherwise as soon as you put a bit of effort in you'll overheat. It's very different to how you'd do it if you were just out for a leisurely walk (obviously).
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    amaferanga wrote:

+1

Having tried all sorts of combinations myself, I found that the windproof softshell option was the best for me, offering massive flexibility from a single garment. I use the same softshell (in my case a Gore Oxygen Windstopper) from mid-teens to sub zero centrigrade, depending on what it's paired with. The main thing for your torso is to keep windchill off it, hence the benefit of windstopper fabric. I wear either a sleeveless vest, short sleeved base or long sleeve merino under the softshell, depending on temperature.

That Santini Touch from Prendas looks like it'd do a similar job for a great price.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    One question - do you run hot or cold?
    I tend to run hot, so I'm a fan of base layer, jersey and gilet. I've been using those with a short sleeve baselayer down to 5. 10 and above I remove the gilet, or just keep it for descents. on bottom half it's normal shorts and legwarmers/knee warmers
    Colder I use long sleeve base layer, buff/skullcap and I'll have a pair of tights I pull over my shorts (ie unpadded). I do have a mavic vision h20 jacket, but I just find it too hot for anything above 5, and actually I use it less because it doesn't breathe as well as the base layer jersey and gilet
    One thing I now like is overshoes. I've now got the BBB water flex and they're great when it's cold

I can see if you run cold though, you'd prefer a windproof jacket
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Any advice then on a good thin base layer?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Sprool wrote:
    Any advice then on a good thin base layer?

Under Armour. Used a few but these are the best i've used yet.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've got lots of different ones. I cant tell the difference between them.
    Helly Hansen are good and last. Aldi are cheap and faring well too.

Stakd if you're going to get a jacket - get a bright one. Navy blue is almost as bad as black for being noticed.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I recently acquired a Gore Phantom which is a windstopper softshell. ('twas an offer I couldn't resist at Wiggle) Amazingly versatile because it's windproof but very breathable, and it has zip-off sleeves. All I need to do is choose my base layer carefully depending on the temperature. Capacious rear pockets too.
  • Pearl izumi softshell or gore wind stopper
  • amaferanga
    keef66 wrote:
    I recently acquired a Gore Phantom which is a windstopper softshell. ('twas an offer I couldn't resist at Wiggle) Amazingly versatile because it's windproof but very breathable, and it has zip-off sleeves. All I need to do is choose my base layer carefully depending on the temperature. Capacious rear pockets too.

Crap baggy fit though.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    cougie wrote:
    Aldi are cheap and faring well too.
    I got a couple of these in the sale last month, was first impressed but I'm getting clammy now then very chilled on the downhills. I don't think it's wicking away the uphill sweat very well.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    amaferanga wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Crap baggy fit though.

Mine fits me perfectly. Feel free to speculate about my body shape.
  • I use an under armour cold base with torm T5 in black and a white gilet in my back pocket. Keeps me well covered for different conditions - oh and I look pretty cool/hot (IMO)
  • atakd
    Thanks for all advice - went for an Endura Windchill in the end. I wore my Aldi for the last time and I have to say I still think it is a good jacket for the £. Felt fine in it for 70 miles at 8-9 deg C with arm warmers underneath, although it is too large and therefore drafty now due to 10kg weight loss plus a new hole in the elbow .
    Glad I didn't wear the new jacket on the way home as I got knocked off in Liverpool - first time on the ground for me. Driver swerved into me to avoid pedestrian who ran into the road then ran off - no justice. Could have been worse, just cuts to knee and hand and bike seems OK. Got witness details just in case I find something more serious.
  • keef66 wrote:

This^
  • atakd wrote:
    I'm looking at getting a warm top for the winter but not having much luck finding what I want. I've have an Aldi winter jacket which has been pretty good for £17 though the arms are too short and I'd like to replace this with something similar but better quality, i.e. thick material, with 2 , preferably 3, back pockets but not a 'shell' type jacket. The jerseys I've seen all seem a lot thinner than the Aldi top and the jackets all seem to be shells short on pockets and needing layers underneath which I want to avoid except for subzero temps. I've tried http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/altura-transformer-windproof-item193533.html#info
    but it is too thin.
    Anyone got any suggestions what to go for?

I would agree with some of the posters....a softshell with some water resistance is the way to go. You can then adjust the under layers according to conditions...from a short sleeve baselayer to baselayer/jersey underneath on really cold days.

I have tried pretty much everything out there from Aldi to Rapha softshell. The best IMO are those offered by Gore as the fabrics are in a league of their own and you dont pay silly prices. What size are you?....I'll be sticking a Gore Xenon softshell size L on fleabay later today (I'll provide a link in sales forum on here) because I've lost weight and it no longer fits. I'll be getting another
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69