XTR trail and race calipers

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone confirm the XTR trail brake uses the same brake caliper as the XTR race brake?

Comments

• Pretty sure they do. Just the lever which is different
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes. as could you by looking on shimanos webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I could as anyone could find answers to everything on the net so why don't you just close the workshop and tech section :roll:
  • The point being. We are not encyclopedic. To confirm 100% we'd need to check the tech doc and the compatabilty table, something anyone with a quarter of brain could do and post a link to so we could confirm if they are really unsure
  • nicklouse
    I could as anyone could find answers to everything on the net so why don't you just close the workshop and tech section :roll:
    have a read viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12561058

in the time I saw your post i went to shimanos webby and checked the part numbers for the race and the trail. it took less time from when you posted to this first reply. along with me doing my job.

yes some things are not easy to find on many sites but excuse me you did not even look. If you had you would not have needed to ask.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    To confirm 100% we'd need to check the tech doc and the compatabilty table

Some of us don't.

There is only one XTR calliper, BR-M985. Race brakes come with the BL-M985 lever and non-finned pads, Trail brakes come with the BL-M988 lever and finned pads.

Give the guy a break, he asked a question so give him an answer and feel good for helping a fellow rider out.
  • mister p wrote:
    To confirm 100% we'd need to check the tech doc and the compatabilty table

Some of us don't.

There is only one XTR calliper, BR-M985. Race brakes come with the BL-M985 lever and non-finned pads, Trail brakes come with the BL-M988 lever and finned pads.

Give the guy a break, he asked a question so give him an answer and feel good for helping a fellow rider out.

Is that for every single part ever made? If so you are a genius.

And for the record, I did give an answer and was correct. Tool.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And for the record, I did give an answer and was correct. Tool.

Who's the tool? I agree with Mister P, the vast majority of questions can be solved with 30 seconds of Google, but that's not really the point.
  • nicklouse
    Is that for every single part ever made? If so you are a genius.
    Yes he is. it is his Job.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mister p wrote:
    Mine say M965....the OP never said new.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    mister p wrote:
    Mine say M965....the OP never said new.......
    but yours does not come from the "new" range where there is a race and trail versions of the XTR.

yours was when it was just XTR.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes Nick I realised that, but never underestimate the ability of posters to get confused over such things - you must know that one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    As the OP specifically asked about the Trail and Race brakes though that seems a safe assumption that he wasn't talking about brakes which have been obsolete for 6 years! Had he said "do both versions of XTR use the same calliper", then there's more ambiguity.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I know its not what you asked, but FYI the levers are different.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    The levers are the difference!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Doh, didnt see Chunkers' reply.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.