How does Strava know if you cheat??

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
So I've been trying this new Strava app out and have not had chance to try it on the bike so simply started it off on my journey home from work in my car. After uploading I noticed that there were no segments listed in my run even though it recorded my route, distance and time (I deleted it immediately).

Just wondering how it knows I'm not the next Tom Martin?

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    it's probably keeping track of the real Tom Martin's segments ;)
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Anybody who cheats on Strava isn't really a cyclist.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I blame Ribble
  • AndyOgy wrote:
    Anybody who cheats on Strava isn't really a cyclist.

or a man for that matter.
  • Nobody knows then?
  • Not always - someone went up the 2.5 mile Alderley Edge bypass averaging 52 mph the other day! Gutted since I was in 132 place out of 370!!!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    I'd send it back to Ribble and get a replacement.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    It doesn't, there are segs out there with ridiculous figures.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    TakeTurns wrote:
    And if you see one, click on the date of the ride to see the whole ride, then click "Flag Ride"

I have loads of MTBers who leave their phone running whilst driving home through local segments.
  • Who's Tom Martin?

Completing a segment on Strava by any method other than on a human powered bike is illegal.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    TakeTurns wrote:
    True dat. I'm in 2nd place to a woman who did a hilly 5 mile segment at 42mph average :x
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    Just a thought, are you sure that there are segments defined on your route already? If not you'll have to create them.

I used to have that on my commute last year, it seemed almost impossible that with so many people using Strava that someone from a local club or something hadn't create segments on my route since there were a few hills on it and lots of riders use it for commuting, but they hadn't. I think that's changed now though.
  • You get people who are sitting in second place flagging the ride in first place.
  • You're thinking of Herbsman aren't you? She clearly beat him fair and square!