Wetherspoon's Beer

2»

Comments

• Wardster00 wrote:
    Unfortunately, they are now used as a negative brand in the pub world and may have added to the pressures on pubs as younger people see a traditional pub as a Wetherspoons

As a younger person I'd like to ask you what type of young people have you been speaking to?!
    Who on earth thinks Wethers is a traditional pub?! Chavs, maybe? But then again they think the street corner is a thrilling place for social recreation.

Nothing wrong with a Wethers, all of the ones I've been to have decent food and fair beers all at an acceptable price.
    I hate they way they pretend Addlestones is a 'proper' cider.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Coupla Points

Re the temperature. From the Cask Marque website:-
    7. Cask beer is normally designed to be conditioned and served between 11-13°C. Warm beer generally throws off unpleasant esters that take the clean edge off the beer. If the beer is served too cold it will often appear hazy (called a ‘chill haze’) and the clean, fresh, vibrant tastes in the beer will be lost.

Oh and re Camra liking Wetherspoons just because they have a lot of different ales. I don't know about Camra, but cask Marque specifically say, even if you only have one cask ale, you are welcome because it is the quality not the quantity that counts.

BTW. There are some really good spoonies, and some I wouldn't go in either. :)

Andy
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    dodgy wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    . It's only as good as the monkey preparing the barrels downstairs.

Not a word I would use to describe anyone that chooses to work (that is able to), no matter what the job.

I think that all depends on the quality of work done. I know of a number of people who don't give a sh*t about their work and, quite frankly don't deserve the job that they have !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Magibob wrote:
    Coupla Points

Re the temperature. From the Cask Marque website:-
    7. Cask beer is normally designed to be conditioned and served between 11-13°C. Warm beer generally throws off unpleasant esters that take the clean edge off the beer. If the beer is served too cold it will often appear hazy (called a ‘chill haze’) and the clean, fresh, vibrant tastes in the beer will be lost.

Oh and re Camra liking Wetherspoons just because they have a lot of different ales. I don't know about Camra, but cask Marque specifically say, even if you only have one cask ale, you are welcome because it is the quality not the quantity that counts.

BTW. There are some really good spoonies, and some I wouldn't go in either. :)

Andy

Pubs have to pay Cask Marque to be inspected and have the plaque on the wall. That's why they have no opinion on the type/number of ales on sale, as long as they meet Cask Marque's criteria of "quality"
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I bloody love Wetherspoons. I just wish they had an optional 'Athlete-Size' meal portion for, say, £1 extra.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    I think I have identified the problem, your drinking beer, which all tastes like puddle water.

I will forgive Wetherspoons most things, as they usually sell Stowford Press, my favourite cider. Not many other pubs do.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Herb71 wrote:
    I think I have identified the problem, your drinking beer, which all tastes like puddle water.

:roll:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    OK, here's the deal. I've just renewed my CAMRA membership and received my 'spoons tokens (£20s worth at 50p a pint discount). I'm unlikely to use them so the first person to PM me with their postal address can have them.

In return you are HONOUR BOUND to make a donation to a charity and confirm it here. No political party funding, religious etc. My choice would be Arthritis Research.

Fair enough?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Called in to my nearest Wetherspoons this evening. Had probably the best pint I've been served anywhere this year. Darkstar American Pale Ale (APA). Had to go back for another just to check I wasn't dreaming. It didn't disappoint.
  • The Wetherspoons 'Regal' in Gloucester does have its ups/downs - on match day it's buzzing, like last Saturday when we (Freddie) pummelled Redpath (Sale). A decent pint of Guinness, cooked brekkie, ready for kick off. Always a good atmosphere there for home games.
    As an aside, last week we were in Ghent for some of the 6 day racing. Went to the 'Cafe de Karper' near to the velodrome - many Belgian beers on tap, full of cycling nutters, great atmosphere. Owned by Rony - father of local rider, Iljo Keisse.