Going back to driving

helz
helz Posts: 406
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
I've just bought a car after not having driven at all for about 5 years. I'm still going to be using my bike for most journeys but my fiancé's kids live 140 miles away. We go and see them at weekends, so I thought it best to get a car.

I'm just wondering how easy other cyclists have found driving after not having driven for several years? I'm a little bit nervous about it. So far I've only driven the car about a mile (home from the dealer via the petrol station!) and it felt really weird to be manouvering something so wide when I'm so used to nipping around on a bike, but hopefully I'll get used to it. Do you think my daily bike ride to work in Central London (which I've been doing since 2005) will have made me a better driver or a worse one, or will it not make any difference? Any advice?
*´¨)
`.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´
Power to the pedal

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    You could always have a 'refresher' lesson with the other half in the passenger seat as the instructor? I'm assuming the other half is also a driver.
  • helz
    Unfortunately not! He just rides a motorbike.
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I went without car for about 5 years. I remember the apprehension but was worried about nothing. As long as you go for a drive when its a bit quiet, and preferably daytime, you'll be fine. It all comes back very quickly, its like riding a bike ;-)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    You are bound to be a little nervy to begin with but once the rustiness, so to speak, of not having driven for 5 years wears off you'll be fine. If anything I'd say cycling makes you a better driver, I know that as a cyclist when I do drive I probably use my mirrors more than a driver who doesn't ride.

Don't worry, driving a car, it's like..er..... riding a bike! :?*

*Edit: As you already may have heard!!!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Remember you are in a car, and the lane positioning/ overtaking etc you do on a bike may not be appropriate when in a car.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Quite timely - I've got back behind the wheel after five years without a car; I got mine about six weeks ago.

I did have a refresher lesson, which I found really useful. I'd never driven a diesel before so I requested one of those, and just had an hour. I was really surprised about how strange it felt - my spacial awareness had really altered, so I was nervous about going through small gaps and parking. I also had to be reminded a lot about not driving down bus lanes, which I use quite a lot on my commute.

Then I got the train to my mate's a couple of days later (she was practically giving me her car), had my tea there, and then drove back over the M62 after that when it was quiet. Now it's like I was never away, but it took a couple of weeks to get used to it.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You are an experienced driver so you'll be back in the swing of things in no time.
    How hard can it be? People do it when they are drunk all the time!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Cafewanda wrote:
    You could always have a 'refresher' lesson with the other half in the passenger seat as the instructor? I'm assuming the other half is also a driver.

Heh, when I first got a car & drove with the EPO she made me drive worse. A very nervous passenger which then reflected on to me.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Have a refresher lesson. Worth the 25 quid or whatever it is round your way for an hour. Since you'll be doing a 280 mile round trip I will assume that some of this is motorway so maybe have a lesson at that as well? Could be a few quid well spent.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    just dont try an filter at traffic lights or it could get messy

also try not to use the brake, accelerator an clutch like the pedals on a bike..

why not just go to a supermarket car park somewhere an play around parking an driving around?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    I would suggest brake early, mostly because this is what my girlfriend says to me when I drive. The distances are slightly different from car and bike, and you quickly get into the habit of one or another.

I didn't drive for around 6 months and jumped back in and was like no time had passed. Helps if you were familiar with the car before and after.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I left the UK in 1998 for 11 years and was without a car for that period, didn't find it hard at all getting back behind the wheel, although I guess it depends upon how long you've been driving in the first instance.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Remember the basic rules of driving a car in london, these also work well when you get out of town.

Traffic lights will try and turn on you if they think you're not serious, always keep accelerating when approaching them.

If you are unlucky enough to be denied by a red, use that big box at the front of the queue to position your car across both lanes if you meant to turn left or right. It's a maneuvering space for you.

If you see anyone riding a bike then honk your horn to let them know that you have a car, they probably don't realise that you pay more tax and have priority over them.

If they seem upset it's probably because they don't understand, you may in this case use your car to shepherd them gently to the curb. They may seem distressed so try to calm them by waving your arm at the same time and pointing, this will clarify what you are doing.

Good luck.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Koncordski wrote:
    Remember the basic rules of driving a car in london, these also work well when you get out of town.

Traffic lights will try and turn on you if they think you're not serious, always keep accelerating when approaching them.

If you are unlucky enough to be denied by a red, use that big box at the front of the queue to position your car across both lanes if you meant to turn left or right. It's a maneuvering space for you.

If you see anyone riding a bike then honk your horn to let them know that you have a car, they probably don't realise that you pay more tax and have priority over them.

If they seem upset it's probably because they don't understand, you may in this case use your car to shepherd them gently to the curb. They may seem distressed so try to calm them by waving your arm at the same time and pointing, this will clarify what you are doing.

Good luck.

:lol:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    gbsahne wrote:
    I left the UK in 1998 for 11 years and was without a car for that period

prison?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    mudcow007 wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

prison?

No, i was in india....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ntVWRhfqo0 :lol:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • msmancunia wrote:
    I'd never driven a diesel before so I requested one of those, and just had an hour.
    Urgh! Why?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    I'd never driven a diesel before so I requested one of those, and just had an hour.
    Urgh! Why?

:-) Because my mate was giving it to me for practically nothing and it fits my bike in the back!

It is a total Dad wagon though, and sounds like a taxi.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why the hour, driving a Diesel is no different to driving a petrol!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    mudcow007 wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

prison?

Not quite, living in Turkey
  • helz
    Thanks for all the very helpful replies - sorry... been slammed at work so only just had a chance to read them. Some very useful tips here - thanks again cylcing community!
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Koncordski wrote:

Good luck.

:lol::lol: I know I shouldn't laugh, but still....
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    helz wrote:
    I've just bought a bike after not having cycled at all for about 5 years. I'm still going to be using my car for most journeys but my fiancé's kids only live 140 meters away. We go and see them at weekends, so I thought it best to get a bike.

I'm just wondering how easy other motorists have found cycling after not having riden for several years? I'm a little bit nervous about it. So far I've only riden the bike about a mile (home from the bike shop via the pub!) and it felt really weird to be manouvering something so slim when I'm so used to waiting in traffic in my car, but hopefully I'll get used to it. Do you think my daily drive to work in Central London (which I've been doing since 2005) will have made me a better cyclist or a worse one, or will it not make any difference? Any advice?

It doesn't seem a lot different this way round, I reckon you will be fine.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I passed my test when I was 18 and will be 40 in December but I haven't driven a car since 1996 and have never owned a car in my life... Keep meaning to have some refresher lessons, it would be useful to join street car or be able to hire a car sometimes...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    I've only been sans car for a few months, but if I drive the OH's Fabia, it feels quite odd, very nervy and light. I jump in the works Terrano and it's fine. Saying that, I wouldn't be in a hurry to get another car, having a car when the OH has one would be a waste of money. (says the guy who used the money from selling his car for a CX bike)
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road