Fox ctd vs Rockshox Revelation

romft
romft Posts: 61
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

After some advise please.
I currently have a Orange 5 with a Fox 32 140 CTD Fit fork.
If I set the sag to 25/30 pct the fork blows through the travel on sections that my previous fork still had travel to spare. Is there a tune up for this ? I have tried adding more air, but now the small bump is rubbish. I have heard that a Revelation RTC3 is a better bet (reduced to 140 travel). Just interested in views.

Thanks for looking
Jamie....

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is a problem with the new CTD - they have got rid of the independent low speed compression damping (compared to RCL), leaving just three settings (though you get a further three options in Trail mode) The RCT3 still has a full range of low speed compression damping, plus three threshold settings. They offer more tunability.

Have you tried the fork in Trail and Firm?
  • romft
    Hi, thanks for quick reply. I currently run the fork in Trail and Firm. I doesn't blow the travel now, but is very firm over small bumps. They thing that grips me is that this is supposed to be great new technolodgy and almost appears to be a step backwards. Not they I'm a suspension expert!!!! I'm a check the sag adjust the rebound and hopefully get a great ride, with the odd tweak here and there. This is supposed to be one stop shopping ! I temped to look at Sektor's but that is at the other end of the quality scale (maybe). Given I ride tail centres, Haldon and places around Devon, biggest drops being about 4ft, what fork would you recommend - if you don't mind me asking....
    Thanks Jamie....
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Rct3 is a great fork for the money - very happy with mine. That said, I am going to move to an X-Fusion slant next spring as I think the new 160mm/34mm chassis is the way forward.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They thing that grips me is that this is supposed to be great new technolodgy and almost appears to be a step backwards.

I agree. They are a step up over the R and RL models, but Fox are trying to make set up easier. Unfortunately this leaves gaps in the total adjustability.

If you go for a Sektor, make sure it is the RL version, though basic Revs can b had for not much more (and these get the Floodgate adjust).
  • I had a 32 talas (bit different to yours) and I couldn't bare the small bumps. It was like being on a rigid fork. It seemed ridiculous. I went to a Rev RCT3 and haven't looked back. You could probably sell your fork for as much as the Rev is new too
  • romft
    Thanks for all your replies....not my day today all this talk about products not doing as they say....I just picked up a computer virus while I have been running Mcafee...typical...Anyway back to the forks...Looks like my choice is between a Sektor coil or a Revelation rtc3.....Is the weight of the coil worth for the small bumps but the dampening is not so good - so I am lead to believe. Which should it be coil Sektor or air Revelation.....
    Cheers Jamie
  • OJS
    OJS Posts: 130
    I have had a Sektor Coil on my old bike and now have a Fox CTD FIT DRCV, with Kashima on my new one.

The Sektor Coil was nice, really nice on single hits especially. The action was way better than any air fork I have used and I could get full travel out of it, which I couldnt from any RockShox air fork,unless I ran them at silly levels of sag. On multiple hits and smaller stuff it wasn't as good though, although as good asother RS air forks I have used.It is obvioulsy heavier but not to a rediculous degree and not to a level that I noticed when riding (I wouldn't call myself a great rider though in any shape or form). I haven't used a Revelation though so the high speed damping may improve the multiple hits somewhat.

The Fox is great though for me, I run it on Trail - Soft or Descend and it is brilliant on small stuff and multiple hits and nearly as good as the coil on bigger hits. I like the nature of the travel though as I am fairly light and struggle with previous air forks.

Magazine reviews of late seem to say that adding oil to the air spring side will give you more progressive travel on the new CTD forks, so if your having issues blowing the travel, maybe give that a go before changing them?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've only used one CTD 32 so it might have been a one-off, but that one was pretty damn divey. I'm sure it can be fixed but it's such a step back for Fox.
    Uncompromising extremist