Panaracer XC Fire Pro - Tyre Rotation

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Hey guys.

Just a quick question on tyre rotation.

I have the Panaracer XC Fire Pro 2.1 tyres, now the tyres have front and rear marked on them and an arrow going in that direction.

The front tyre has front with the arrow going in a clockwise motion, however I have just noticed that the rear tyre has rear pointing also in a clockwise rotation yet the tread seems to be going the opposite way to the front.

Its like the tread pattern is this < > when I thought it would have been > >

Can anyone shed any light as to if this is correct or if I need to swap the rear around, I have looked online but cant get a clear answer to this.

Cheers 8)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the arrows are pointing in the correct direction.

why would the tread be the same front and rear? they dont do the same thing.

also clockwise means nothing unless you state the side you are looking from.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for the reply Nick.

Do they not do the same thing ? I dont know, your talking to a newbie here, I just thought it would be same principle as cars and bikes, me R1 tyres for example had the same pattern front and rear and you could see how the tread would expel water in its grooves.

With this though, the front tyre (from right hand, cassette side) the tread has big knobbles and one side of the knob has a step down but the other doesn't, thats how the front rotates but the rear its other way round, just a big knobble with no step down, looks like its going to be dragging the rear, probably provide better traction at the rear maybe thats why its like that ?

Maybe a pic would better explain it one mo ....

62364776.jpg

46814333.jpg

Just wasn't sure if i'd done it right so thought I would ask.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I have been riding with XC pros for years, I have never even thought about the knobbles, I just look at the arrow of direction, and fit to that. Never let me down yet :)
  • More grippy ennit!
  • Anonymous
    Cool, ya learn sommat new every day, nowt to worry about then, cheers fellas :D
  • Got Highrollers on my Trance and tread patterns face the same way as others have said just follow the arrow rotation
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • i've always assumed its to do with Braking, squarer edge to help dig in for more grip under braking??? and also for traction purposes in much the same effect??
    i only ever used to notice the traction arrows after i'd pumped the tyre up with a hand pump hahaha!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    Do they not do the same thing ?

Front stops and steers, rear stops (but less) and pedals.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its to do with a number of factors, but think of the logic.....
    Tyre grip is most critical on the front when locking the front wheel, at that point the contact patch is approaching the ground going in the opposite direction to rolling.
    Tyre grip at the rear is most critical for traction, when the tyre is rolling and the contact patch is going in the conventional direction, hence why they rotate in opposite directions front and rear by the arrows, if you are confident you'll never lock the front, by all means have it the other way round.

Tread with any V shape traditionally approches the ground tip of V first (bike tyres, tractor tyres, car tyres) so that anything needing clearing (water/mud) is squezed out along the grooves, reverse the tread and it get's trapped, I once worked for a farmer and the tractor punctured, we banged on a spare wheel with the tyre the wrong way round to get it back to the yard, kept getting wheelspin as that tyre just didn't grip as well as the correct one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Ran these for a a couple of years with the rear the "wrong" way round. Changed the rear round when I realised the error on my ways. Did I notice a difference? No. That's not to say others wouldn't though.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130