bit of a dodgy commute o_0

bushu
bushu Posts: 711
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
After a good scrub of the ss and a few days on the commuting ont' mongoose with my knees up to my ears. I rushed the wheels back on and started my pootle into work.. and on to my problem. The front end felt a bit sketchy after a mile - stopped to have a prod and it appears I had cross threaded the rh axle thread & now decided its not biting! :roll:

Any ideas how i can limp home with a bodge? Also would the axle be easily replaceable or is it time to order a new front wheel?

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Are there lawers tabs on your forks? If so (and the ride isn't more than a couple of miles) I'd risk it. You could even (MEGABODGE ALERT!!) wrap some packaging tape around the axle nuts and the bottom of the forks.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bushu
    No tabs, had a thought to loosen the otherside to allow the worn side to bite a bit better before tightening the gd side up.

Can I replace just the axle or is it new wheel/hub? :?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Do you really mean axle, or do you mean QR skewer?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    You should be able to get a new axle easily enough. Aftermarket ones often seem to be very cheap'n'nasty, though, so it might be worth transferring the cones from your current one on the assumption that they are likely to be better quality.

I would try moving the axle to get thread engagement to get you home. Maybe worth taking the washers out (if you can) or reversing the nuts if they are captive... Whatever you can do to get the nuts onto good threads.

Cheers,
    W.
  • bushu
    edited November 2012
    Axle has good thread it was the Taiwan/cheddar nut o_0 will try turning nut around for now thanks

Looking for a sturdy qr wheel set but most come with a freehub :? An im unsure about ss compatibility.
    Liking the purple halo aerorage but might hold out for a $ale..
  • bushu
    Wtf why do two nuts cost 10 squids.. o_0
    Think a trip to the lbs ont' way home..

EDIT - DMR nuts ordered for a more reasonable 4 squids ;-)