Nearly Joined the November Crash Club

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Holey Moley - that has to have been one of the most horrible rides I've ever done. Weather sold me a complete dummy - checked the temp: 4.7C, checked Wunderground for other temps: 3-4C, no ice on the cars - all good for the road bike. As I approached the top of the Black Isle I noticed frost appearing in the grass either side of the road. By the time I was down the other side, ice was apparent under the surface of puddles, the road had patches of frost and started looking very shiny. Started riding very carefully. Anyhow, just south of Tore, on a downhill section, the back of the big did a massive step-out on a pedal stroke. I've never collected a bike up from such a wild angle before - not really sure how I managed it - I was convinced I was down. The rest of the ride was miserable - hardly daring to brake. My mood wasn't improved by a timber truck jumping the red light at the one crossing I use.

Still don't understand what the weather is doing - 99.9% of the time, it's warmer on the Inverness (south) side of the Black Isle (I'm on the north-facing side)

Take care out there
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    There are very few worse feelings than a bike sliding out from under you. Well done for catching it!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Ooh, that sounds hairy. Well done for catching it, even if you don't know how.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Glad you stayed upright, its no fun being on the blackstuff.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i had a arse twitcher this morning too, my commute is on a disused railway line that is lined with sycamore & ash trees

each autumn they drop all their leaves onto the track so

a. you cant see the track any more

b. they turn into a slippery goop that is like ice

to get on the track you have to come down the embankment which is steep an winding

this morning i basically misjudged the track an slipped an very nearly went face first down the track

nothing like a face plant wakes you up in the morning
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mozejo
    mozejo Posts: 115
    certainly a different set of hazards from most of our commutes . Still not on the bike - ribs hurt too much. Can't cough either .
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I nearly joined the club last night. BoBiking down the Mall when a minicab (natch) pulled out of Horse Guards straight across my path and accross both lanes, frantically steered away but he still smacked into my left side. Thankfully no damage was done, but the fecker sped off. Tried to catch him but it was impossible on the bobike.
  • I'd have been doubly pi55ed off as I was wearing my brand new Assos ClimaShutz jacket (very nice it is too).

Looking at the local weather stations, it looks as if the temperature rose by nearly 10 degrees in a couple of hours (before the sun had come up properly) - presumably due to a change in wind direction. That's the other unusual thing - normally when it's icy, it's pretty still, but it was blowing hard this morning when I set off. Freak weather.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • One Farmer has driven most of a field onto the road in one hamlet I cycle through. He's very helpfully put a hand-painted "Mud" sign by the road (where's the sarcasm smiley?) but you hit the main mud patches on two 90 degree bends.

This morning was a proper squeaky bum moment when I came piling 'round the first bend to see a sea (you see) of cold wet mud in my direct line.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Same here this morning completely lost the backend for a split sec before my cat like cx reflexes kicked in, not nice
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    itboffin wrote:
    Same here this morning completely lost the backend for a split sec before my cat like cx reflexes kicked in, not nice
    I didn't know cats rode cx.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Veronese68 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

only cool cats with capes
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

only cool cats with capes

vampire-cape-halloween-costume.jpg
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3