SLX 9sp double front mech for Stumpy FSR with DMD?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. After changing from a triple chainset to an SLX 9sp double and bash on my Spesh Stumpy FSR 2009 Elite, I decided to also switch the original triple SLX front derailleur. It has just arrived from Bike.Discount.De this morning and not sure it'll fit. I went for the SLX M-665 E version with the BB mount, on the basis that I though that after removing the BB mount bracket supplied, the two bolt holes would allow it to be mounted to the Direct Mount on the Stumpy frame?

Has anyone done this successfully, or have I purchased the wrong mech? thanks...
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No that's right - you need the E-type one, when you take off the BB mount it'll go on.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You need a D type, not E type.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Sorry, that should say I think you need a D not E. I had the same frame, and IIRC correctly it wasnt using E type mounts. Ive just fitted an e type to a new frame, and had to keep taking the chainset on and off to get alignment right (which is bloody annoying BTW) and I definitely downt remember doing that on my Stumpy. Might just be my bad memory though. Post a piccy of the mounts to be sure.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    UPDATE! I found an old piccy of my frame. You have the right mech. Sorry for the confusion!

8186955445_eb5236d3a9_z.jpg
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • luv2ride
    ace! off to the LBS I go....thanks for the help and for digging out that pic, really appreciated.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • luv2ride
    Picked up bike from LBS (that was quick!) and sounds as if they had a similar problem with the alignment. According to them it wasn't very straightforward. Still, done now and shifting seems better, certainly less chain rub than with the triple front mech. Hopefully get out on the Stumpy on Sunday to have a proper go 8)