Electric tape on the frame/forks

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
as a method of sticking stuff like a sensor and ensuring it is secure. Not going to damage or cause any issues is it?

Cheers
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Depends on your frame finish. What's wrong with zip ties?
  • Flâneur
    Just seem to have worked loose twice (shape perhaps), so looking for something in the interim until I get to go buy more or find a better solution.

Sorry no idea on the finish, Giant tcr if it helps
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Should be OK if it's temporary. Maybe try to avoid taping over decals though. I put some protective tape on my crank arms this year and it took the decals clean off :(

Try it overnight on an invisible area.
  • sa0u823e wrote:
    as a method of sticking stuff like a sensor and ensuring it is secure. Not going to damage or cause any issues is it?

Cheers

as soon as its wet its gonna come loose.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    put electrical tape under zip ties to protect paint. I wouldn't use it to secure anything important like a sensor
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    double sided tape on the back of the sensor holds it in place then a couple of plastic zip ties to secure it. Sorted. Don't bother with tape under the zip ties if they are plastic, I'd hate to think my paint finish is so soft that a plastic zip tie could spoil its integrity.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Sprool wrote:
    double sided tape on the back of the sensor holds it in place then a couple of plastic zip ties to secure it. Sorted. Don't bother with tape under the zip ties if they are plastic, I'd hate to think my paint finish is so soft that a plastic zip tie could spoil its integrity.

:roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    its when the wet crap comes off the road and they rub that it chafes the paint off. In the same way your cables will on your head tube.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd wrap the tape round the frame when its all clean and zip tie the kit on.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I do this to keep the cadence sensor and the gear wires tidy; tape them together in parallel with small bits of tape for nice clean lines then apply an inch or so of tape at regular gaps along the downtube to keep them in place. I also tape the front wheel speed sensor cable to the fork with neat square bits of black tape.

If the frame is absolutely clean and you get the tape properly flush it won't come off for a while, and I can report that it's never marked my frames, alloy or carbon. Even if it does on yours, it's on the underside of the downtube so isn't important enough to worry about.
  • Flâneur
    Thanks for all the advice and input from those who have tried and test
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy