Recommend a 35c tyre for canal paths

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
First commute with my bike all set up for winter, six miles in and bang - something (metal - no idea what) ripped straight through the side of my Marathon Plus and it's now destined for the bin.

Not sure what to replace it with - puncture resistance is a priority as I mainly stick to the canal paths in the winter and have a long journey in pitch black.

Comments

• Bad luck! I would replace it with another M+ but either get a brighter lamp or ride a bit slower so as to spot debris more easily.
  • FJJ
    FJJ Posts: 43
    I use "Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro Folding City Tyre 700 x 35c" on my cross bike on canal paths and cycle paths etc. and have had no problems with them at all. What I would say is that the folding ones are a complete nightmare to fit! They are available non folding too and are even cheaper - the folding ones are currently £15 on Wiggle where the non-folding ones are £11.19.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    That's really bad luck to rip up an M+ tyre. I would get another one and, as the above poster says, perhaps a better light for seeing debris, although what could have smashed through the side of an M+ is a mystery. Any chance some joker took a shot at your tyre with an air gun?
  • I'd also be inclined to say M+. Never had a problem with mine yet (touch wood). You must have been massively unlucky to have one go
  • pastryboy
    I had enough light but there was a layer of leaves. All I know is it was something metal.

As for being unlucky, this is what happened to my previous M+

DSC_4256.jpg

That was on a road.
  • You won't find a tougher tyre than a M+,the one in the photo is at the end of it's life? Maybe you're just unlucky but I don't think any tyre would have resisted that?
  • pastryboy
    The one in the photo had done several thousand miles by that point (picking up two punctures in the process). It only looked that worn because I ride fixed and skid from time to time.

It remains a mystery how that (pictured) puncture happened - I don't know how I didn't just roll straight over it.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    I ride fixed and skid from time to time.

Schwalbe make this tyre just for you!
    Specially developed for ‘fixie’ bikes where transmission braking can lock the back wheel and is extremely tread abrasive.
  • Personally think the best thing you can do is eliminate the skidding, fit a brake or adapt stopping technique to avoid this.

One cheaper alternative might be the Schwalbe Landcruiser, a tyre with knobbles to the side of the tread and a thick central ridge down the middle, grips well on mud and gravel due to the knobbles and rolls well on tarmac due to the centre ridge, plus good puncture resistance. CRC are doing them in 35mm or 40mm for £13.99 posted, including a 35mm version with reflective sidewall stripe http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom or Amazon are selling the non reflective 35mm for £12.99 inc P+P: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000Q10R7Y/r ... B000Q10R7Y
    Its a tough tyre, but would not think its any tougher than an M+, I don't think there is such a thing, however the thick band of tread up the middle should see you through quite a few miles of rear skidding if you must ;-)