Help: Suntour XC Pro front dérailleur question

CB900F
CB900F Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a mid-nineties MB with Suntour XC Pro components. It's time to replace the front Dérailleur. I'd like to replace with original components which I'm slowly gathering. I have a question:

I can't figure out if the dérailleur is a top pull or ? It's not a bottom pull, but it's not actually a top pull either. The cable housing rides on the dérailleur arm itself, while the inner cable is anchored to the frame near the bottom bracket. Pulling the cable has the effect of pushing the outer cable jacket down on the dérailleur arm which changes the rings. Effectively it seems to be a bottom pull or maybe a top push?? The Suntour top pull dérailleur model is a FD-TP10-GXH (seems that the "TP" is for top pull). The new one I have (same vintage) is a FD-XP01-GXH Not sue what the XP stands for but it's a bottom pull (same as in the image below). I'm wondering if I can adapt it to be a 'top push'. I'd need to replace the inner cable clamp (see on the top of the arm in the picture below) on the dérailleur arm with a stud and 'cup' to hold the cable jacket. Does that make sense. Anyone know if such an adapter is available?

imagesCALF242F.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My head is now spinning, can't help, but www.retrobike.co.uk might be a good place to ask.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks like bottom pull to me. and no you can not as you would need to remake parts of it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    looks like bottom pull to me. and no you can not as you would need to remake parts of it.

Yes, the one in the picture is a bottom pull - which is identical to the new one I have and identical to the original one on the bike, except that on the one on the bike, the bolt that cinches the inner cable (top of photo) is actually a cable holder (or cable stay) if that's the right term).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cable stop?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cable stop?

Well maybe, except a 'cable stop' or 'cable stay' is usually attached to the frame (isn't it ?). In the Suntour dérailleur that I have, the outer cable ends right on the arm of th dérailleur (where the inner cable is typically cinched on a bottom pull). The inner cable passes through and is anchored (cinched) to the frame with a screw near the top of the BB.