If you had £200 to spend on new brakes...

dhooper7
dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have a 160mm Specialized Enduro.
Firstly, I go through pads like butter (Elixir R SL brakes).
Have tried loads of makes and different compounds.
Secondly, I hate fitting new pads as they always seem to drag a little on the first ride. Have bled, cleaned pistons and replaced seals and replacing is always a pain in the...
Thirdly, I want more power! I treat it like a DH bike when pointing down the mountain and really put the hammer down.
Fade is not an option and cooked brakes is not wanted.

I'm thinking about replacing them...
I want an easier life when it comes to replacing pads
I want more braking power and a better feel
Is it too much to ask?

Elixir 9's maybe?
I've heard Hope lack a little on power but make up for it in customer service..?
XT?
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    XT with Ice Tech rotors in 203/180. Shoudl be able to do the lot for under £200.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • New deore m596 and then a trip to the pub (or the xt as above if you must spend £200)!

The deore m596 brakes are without a doubt the best brakes I've used. Miles ahead of the elixir R's on the Canyon.
    I'm 16st, and run 160mm rotors on the RL and struggle with having too much power, but only because i'm used to crap avids! The deores are superbly modulated and have a great feel to them.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Ha ha ben I was gonna say slx and a trip to the pub, you can pick them up for £130/£140
  • The XTs are unbelievable
  • dhooper7
    Good comments...
    Are XT's nice 'n easy when it comes to replacing the pads?
  • dhooper7 wrote:
    Good comments...
    Are XT's nice 'n easy when it comes to replacing the pads?

Aren't all brakes?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pad wear may not improve if you eat them with any pads with your current set up. What size rotor are you running?
  • dhooper7
    supersonic wrote:
    Pad wear may not improve if you eat them with any pads with your current set up. What size rotor are you running?
    203 up front and 180 on the back
    Aren't all brakes?
    Not my Elixir R's
    Always a bit of drag on the first ride. Suparstar pads are the worst, like pulling a donkey up the climbs with me
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    My Elixir R's drag on every ride :(

Get any of the Shimano already mentioned with XT Ice Tech rotors from Rose Bikes or Bike-discount.de (etc), if you sign up for Rose's news letter or like them and install their app on facebook you get a £10 off code.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For genuine DH braking, ZEE?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Pads are a breeze to change on XT. Unscrew retaining bolt, pull out pads, drop in new ones, put bolt back in. No worries at all. FWIW I have found the Shimano standard (I think theyre sintered) pads to be very long lasting. Im still on my same set as new after over a year. On Avids Id be 2 or 3 sets in by now.

Also, with the XTs (and maybe SLXs) you can run iSpec shifters, which really cleans up the bars alot. If you run a dropper post remote, this opens up lots more positioning options.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dhooper7
    XT it is then!
    Thanks all. Great help
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i got the XT'S from merlin for 123quid,they were meant to be the M780's but when they came(next day free delivery) they were the M785'S minus the ice fin pads but aint to bothered.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I put the XT brakes on my enduro and can't fault them. Maybe zee for a bit more power?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava