November Claims Another One.

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Had me an off this evening.

Was coming up Archway Road (A1) here and in Primary position in the left hand lane as I didn't wanna get over taken by the low loader behind me and as lot of cars filter in from the right to head straight on.

Anyway, I was about 3 meters behind the nissan micra in front of me and low and behold a car pulls in in-front of it. The Driver slams on the brakes leaving me no where to go but straight into the back of it, leaving me and the bike entagled on the road behind her with lights all over the place!

Two concerned Peds kindly helped me to my feet and retrieved the bike and the lights from the road. Driver Pulls over and gets out to check i'm OK and the back of the car. Luckily no damage to the car except the windscreen wiper is no longer attached to it.

Me, I have a bit of road rash on my right hip and left knee and the bike after the initial roadside check was OK. I rode home the last 8 miles rather tentatively with a slightly bent right shifter. Now after a thorough going over of it when I got in and after straightening the shifter all seems to be well. Got a feeling that I will be a bit stiff tomorrow though.

I am really starting to dislike November.

Stay safe people.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Tomorow's another day but it might be a good idea to take a couple of Ibuprofen and paracetamol - not sure I'd cope with London roads - Halifax and Huddersfield is bad enough. Hope you recover fast.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Yeah stock up on ibuprofen or whatever suits. I've been stiff as a board down my r/h side after yesterday's performance on the roundabout, and the shoulder that wasn't even on the radar pain wise is killing me today.
  • I felt a lot worse yesterday than the day it happened. Bruises are still rising! Glad you're OK. Not a fan of this November. Bring On December, people!
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    Ouch.

Three metres is pretty close though. Barely enough for a Pelican crossing.

brown-pelican-007.jpg
    A pelican has approx 3 metre wing span.Its funny, really
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Glad your okay

did you get to keep the rear wiper as a trophy?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    FFS! Glad you're relatively unscathed. Hope the morning doesn't bring new pain. Be careful out there people.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    This is getting really silly. I actually felt more nervous on the road today than I did after nine months off the bike following a big off a few years ago. I hope the OP doesn't suffer too much pain and that the bike is OK.

I know exactly where it happened and cutting in is a big problem there. Even in the car I drive in 'primary'. I know stopping distance is speed dependent and you need to position yourself to reduce the likelihood of getting cut in on, but riding three metres from the car in front sounds a bit close.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ...wanders off to find something to sacrifice to the commuting Gods.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    This is starting to sound personal to the commuting section of the BR forum!!
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Hmm. I was trying to decide between riding in tomorrow and saving my legs for a heavy weekend.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Not another one, my bruise is coming on nicely and my hip is still sore from yesterday's slide.

On top of that I got yelled at by a numpty and have had two punctures in two days. Starting to hate November.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Anyone who hasn't already had their off, I suggest you engineer somethin so that you can get it over and done with. Maybe find a quiet cycle path, and just lean it over into some long grass.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My car is bang up to date with every safety gizmo known to man - but I am still finding myself feeling very under-sensed driving after dark at the moment. Bear in mind that I am a 50,000 mile a year professional driver.

Be careful folks. Be very careful.

It takes a while for winter mode to click in for the metal box pilots.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    I haven't ridden a bike since my off on the 28th September. On the one hand I can't wait to get back on a bike, but then again...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited November 2012
    Injury update.

Bruises on my hip are coming along nicely. Scab on left knee healing over. New injuries are bruising to my right shoulder and a tender wrist. Nothing serious thank goodness.

Commuted in this morning; Thinking its better to get straight back in the saddle and as I wasn't too stiff, pretty tentative though and didnt get to close to anything.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I'm just trying to use up all my crashes off road. Stainburn last Thursday night in the dark I stacked it on the black run. I'd put my lycra tights on because it was pretty cold and didn't think I'd bother with the knee pads. Consequently, huge lump/bruise on the side of my right knee. I hope that's enough to appease the Crash Fairy.
  • Baaaaa.... Baaaaaa....

....looks for knife....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • On a more serious note: overtook one of my work mates on the way in this morning (he was driving and stuck in traffic)

I'm having a natter online and he tells me he stopped to help out a cyclist who was a victim of a hit and run on the way in this morning. Cuts and bruises, but the driver never stopped.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Heal up quickly!

I still cannot stand up without pain in my back, starting to think i might have done more serious damage.

Can we please stop falling off, its getting ridiculous.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Got to a T junction on my regular route in this morning (in the car tho) and see a lot of police activity; there's a motorbike sized hole in the hedge straight on after the T (best to go right or left, not SO eh?) and visible through the other side of this hole is a Ford Ka in someone's garden. Shouldn't smile, snigger or even laugh out loud but how can you miss a T with a huge sign pointing out where the road goes in both directions?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    You lot have inspired me to stay off the road for the next few weeks. Going on the MTB for a couple of weeks instead.

I'll be keeping an eye out for trees jumping out.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    cyclist almost got me last night; going down a hill at 30mph with no other traffic around, he pulls out in front of me and as I weave around him he yells at me. Possibly something about lights? but if he can't see a bright headtorch and a flashing cateye on the handlebar then perhaps he needs glasses.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    CiB wrote:
    Got to a T junction on my regular route in this morning (in the car tho) and see a lot of police activity; there's a motorbike sized hole in the hedge straight on after the T (best to go right or left, not SO eh?) and visible through the other side of this hole is a Ford Ka in someone's garden. Shouldn't smile, snigger or even laugh out loud but how can you miss a T with a huge sign pointing out where the road goes in both directions?

Texting or facebook if i had to guess. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Coming in this morning, entering a village after a stretch of NSL, there was a Scooby half on and half off the pavement. I just thought it was another example of bad parking until I noticed the large amount of glass and a stoved in rear off-side quarter.

This was the first car in the line of cars as you entered the village and clearly someone had driven straight into the back of it and done a runner.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Add me to the list.

Was on my way for my first go at racing at Hillingdon. Concerned about the number of crashes they have there. Taken out by a car on the way. Nice..

8 Stitches to the lip, cuts and bruises, no broken bones, bike looks 'ok' but needs a proper check. She pulled out her driveway as i was passing. I was the only thing on the road at 9:55 - just a case of not seeing me. Oh well.

British cycling membership being put to use by calling their incident line and they're sending papers to fill in.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • veronese68
    timmyflash wrote:
    Add me to the list.

Was on my way for my first go at racing at Hillingdon. Concerned about the number of crashes they have there. Taken out by a car on the way. Nice..

8 Stitches to the lip, cuts and bruises, no broken bones, bike looks 'ok' but needs a proper check. She pulled out her driveway as i was passing. I was the only thing on the road at 9:55 - just a case of not seeing me. Oh well.

British cycling membership being put to use by calling their incident line and they're sending papers to fill in.
    Sorry to hear that, but glad you're not badly hurt.
    Don't get the bike checked by Evans, go to a shop that know what they're doing. They said they could check my bike was over and quote for any damage and also for the clothing that was cut off me. Turns out they were just plain lying when I booked it in. They would only check the bike was safe and don't do quotes for other damage as they don't do that and they don't quote for clothing, contrary to what I'd been told.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I hit the deck on Sunday.

Probably my own fault.

End of club run - riding home. Guy from the run was ahead, maybe 5m. He suddenly stopped for a zebra crossing as I was fidling with my front break (since I didn't see anyone).

Didn't see much, and went down. Nothing broken. Sore wrist, some heavy bruising and light grazing on the right hand side.

Shorts were fine, bike was fine. Wouldn't even know it'd happened apart from the fact the saddle was totally in the wrong place. Shoes are a little knackered but still function OK.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Veronese68 wrote:
    timmyflash wrote:
    Add me to the list.

Sorry to hear that, but glad you're not badly hurt.
    Don't get the bike checked by Evans, go to a shop that know what they're doing. They said they could check my bike was over and quote for any damage and also for the clothing that was cut off me. Turns out they were just plain lying when I booked it in. They would only check the bike was safe and don't do quotes for other damage as they don't do that and they don't quote for clothing, contrary to what I'd been told.

+1 A colleague got knocked off by a scooter a while back. Unfortunately, his insurer insisted he take it to Evans, who then tried to sell him a fork that they didn't have in stock to replace the damaged one, only to find that when it finally turned up, it was the wrong steerer diameter, and wouldn't have fitted anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    What's up with you lot?

Mind you, CS8 is pretty sketchy in places at the moment, loads of leaves building up in the gutters. We need a good storm to strip the remaining ones off the trees, then the councils can clear them up and we'll all get back to safer commuting.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.