Deore Chainsets M590 and M591

Redber67
Redber67 Posts: 19
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Help please - I am confused. I want to upgrade the chainset on my hybrid bike and have chosen the Deore Hollowtech II as being the likely candidate. But there are two versions - FC-M590 and FC-M591 and I cannot see what the difference is between them. Both come with the same options of 170mm or 175mm crank arms, two choices of different gearing, and black or silver. The spec sheet shows the only difference as have two extra spacers on the M591, but both declare a 50mm chain-line. I believe the 590 is classified as for MTB and the 591 for Trekking. Apart from that I cannot find anything else of help on the net. Can it just be as simple as two spacers - and why are they needed as I thought both cater for 68mm or 73mm BBs?

Does anyone know? Many thanks!

Comments

• I think it is just the ring sizes. They both can take a guard.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Redber67 wrote:
    Apart from that I cannot find anything else of help on the net. Can it just be as simple as two spacers - and why are they needed as I thought both cater for 68mm or 73mm BBs?

Does anyone know? Many thanks!
    i believe the 591 has 48,36,26 chainrings, look here for spacer use http://www.shimano.com/media/techdocs/c ... 677251.PDF
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    ^this. It also has a lovely guard on the outer ring to stop you catching your jeans in it :wink:
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget to get the frame shell faced!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks all, looks like there is no real major difference! Interestingly though, the Shimano spec sheets certainly shows both the M590 & M591 having the option of either 48,36,26 and 44,32,22, and in silver or black, and 170mm and 175mm cranks, and most sites offer these options under M590!

Nevertheless, I shall go for the M591 with chain guard - currently a good deal on at Rose - even adding the VAT and delivery charges from Germany it is about £3 cheaper than the next cheapest on the market (C/R). Plus I can't find find anyone in the UK offering either M590 or M590 with the chain guard anyway.

And yes The Beginner - I shall definitely have the frame shell faced. I'll probably let a LBS remove existing and fit the new Deore as well.

Once again - thanks!