rotors 160 to 180

jozeppi
jozeppi Posts: 40
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Could i go from a 160 rotor to a 180 rotor and if so would i encounter any problems or is it straight forward
this would be front wheel only Forks reba dual air Brakes teckro draco hydraulic

Comments

• Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    Easy to do but you will have to change the brake caliper mounting to a 180 type. what brakes do you have?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jozeppi wrote:
    Could i go from a 160 rotor to a 180 rotor and if so would i encounter any problems or is it straight forward
    this would be front wheel only
    maybe. generally yes but some frames will not take bigger discs.

so more infor from you needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    nicklouse wrote:
    jozeppi wrote:
    this would be front wheel only
    maybe. generally yes but some frames will not take bigger discs.

so more infor from you needed.
      jozeppi wrote:
      this would be front wheel only Forks reba dual air Brakes teckro draco hydraulic
      going by that, i'd say just an adaptor needed
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • Giraffoto
      Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
      A problem that's cropped up in one or two posts like this is that some adaptors don't work with some calipers - so don't throw away the packaging until you've got it fitted and working!
      Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
      XM-057 rigid 29er
    • MC1
      MC1 Posts: 9
      Ive got the sme question. I got a vintage bike with orignal forks and not sure an upgrade to bigger discs is possiable.. someone gave me the brakes for free ages ago and they came with thin shimino discs.

I mangled both rims (and discs) couple years ago and bought these wheels,the discs look horrible i think.

Looking at the front clearance shouldnt be an issue. but the fork mounts might (and maby even the old calipers them selves!?) on the rear i think clearance to the frame will be tight.

See alot of mounts on ebay but confused if any will help. hope someone here can 8)

imag0524.jpg
      imag0525u.jpg
    • Above post is easy. You have IS mounts.

All you need is IS plus 20mm mount or plus 40mm of your discs are going from 160 to 200 size rotors.

For original poster, search for "hope mount guide" on google and you'll get a nice simple table to work out what you want.
      For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
      www.pedaltoprogression.com
    • MC1
      MC1 Posts: 9
      hi hendo thanks for reply. still abit confused does the make of the adapter matter? i see things like post mount to is?
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avid-Brake-Caliper-Mounting-Bracket-20mm-IS-/221151220193?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item337da3d1e1

how about them? am i right in thinking all i need is an adapter and bigger disc? thanks

edit - loking into it i think these are the ones i need..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hope-20mm-Disc-Mount-Adapter-Brkt-Front-Rear-IS-IS-/170913021422?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27cb35bdee