Handlebar tape on tape

prando
prando Posts: 47
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Suffering a little with the carpel tunnel issue ! My Virtuosa is very thinly taped. Are there any problems in my putting an additional tape on top of the existing ? (thereby giving me some extra cushioning ?)

Thanks and kind regards

PS Any recommendations as to brand of tape etc. ?

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    No problem with it at all, double taping is common in races like Paris Roubaix.

You may find that the diameter is too big for you if you have small hands. I use Fizik bar gel under the tape on all my bikes. I use Easton cork tape as it's good and cheap (less than 8 quid). Many people like Fizik Microtex, but I didn't. Lizard Skins is nice but 25 quid!!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    No problem, i double taped my ergosum bars on the tops because of the narrow diameter.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Last time I double taped I didn't like it, as schweiz pointed out it may make the handlebar diameter too large for comfort.

Just 'won' some bar tape off the 'bay for £1-09 direct from China. Wonder how good that'll be?
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I find the best gel tape is lizardskin. I also think the fizik gel insert are too thin - I bought some much more robust ones from my LBS - my handlebars are super comfy :)
  • Just remove the old tape from drop to shifter ... Then tape over the whole lot as normal ...

If you're fussy like me bring the end of the original tape at the flat of your bars back 2cm so you get a tidier finish when you get there with the 2nd lot of tape ...

Fizik works well as base layer then gel tape over the top ... I have arthritis and have used this method in the past ... Don't fear about grip, there is only the normal tape on the drops, and beyond the shifters you just get a comfy place to rest your palm and an effect on the flat of the bar not unlike wing shaped bars ...

Worse case scenario it's cost you £20 for 2 lots of tape ...

Disclaimer: I'm currently using fizik gel inserts and their normal tape (The bike tart in me needed little Fizik logos on the tape) ...
  • prando
    Thanks for all the advice and reassurance. Will now have a go !
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If you are really suffering with it, no amount of bar tape or padding will truly solve it - it's going to be down to position and discipline on the bike.

Try simple things like flipping your stem to take a bit more weight off your hands. Saddle back a touch may help as well.

On the bike - move your hands about more (use the hoods, the flats etc.), take one hand off the bars and give it a shake and stretch every so often, then repeat with other hand (or do both at once if you're cool!), drink and eat with alternative hands (using your right hand to always get your bidon means you are putting extra strain on the left - balance it out).

All that said, taping and padding (look at marsas padding, which I believe is pretty good) will make some differences.

For what it's worth, I use Fizik with no padding and do not really suffer (though on the longer rides I do a little).
  • I suffer carpel tunnel too so all my bikes have double layer Deda cork tape (cheap, grippy, hardwearing, good quality). Works great, makes a big difference to all-day-long ride comfort.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Specialized Phat Wrap (gel pads with tape) is also very good:-

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... RRWidgetID
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I have these gel pads on the top of my bull horns.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-avs-gel-pads/
  • prando
    Cheers again for the added comments and recommendations.