Deore M596 set up

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just replaced my front caliper with a M596 but something doesnt feel right compared to the older deore rear set up.

It's a brand new warranty replacement so shouldn't have been tampered with but after bolting it up to the fork there seems to be a lot of lever travel before i get any kind of bite where the rear takes very little travel. Does this sound like it needs bleeding (thought they came bled) or is there a setup process for new calipers?

new to hydraulics so apologies if this is a common post.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so have you been out and bedded it in yet?

I sugest reading the fitting info. as bedding it in is part of it.

if you did not get a users manual ETC then download it from shimanos webby.

if you cant be bothered then slacken the bolts pull the lever and then while holding the lever tighten the bolts. then release and pull the lever a few times to confirm the caliper is centered then go and bed the brakes in by using them without getting them too hot.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for that, I fitted it last night by pulling the lever and tightening the bolts then pumping a few times but didnt ride it.

Hopefully just a case of bedding in then.

Cheers
  • Ok next dumb question.

Is it possible to change the biting point? I had a look at the instructions and couldn't see anything but im sure I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that it is possible
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You just need to advance the pads - try taking the wheel out and SLOWLY pull the lever so the pads close over a tiny bit more.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok next dumb question.

Is it possible to change the biting point? I had a look at the instructions and couldn't see anything but im sure I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that it is possible
    have you bedded in the pads yet?

do that first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Ok next dumb question.

have you bedded in the pads yet?

do that first.

I went out for a couple of short rides and they felt a lot better than at first but it just feels like there is quite a lot of travel before i get a bite. Had to adjust the lever away as the biting point was nearly at the bar.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    That won't really fix it, you'll need to advance the pads.