I'd like to have your opinion about FABIKE

ItaloSardo
ItaloSardo Posts: 7
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I have been involved in this very interesting project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fab ... table-bike

It is about a bicycle that with the same frame is able to have more than one configuration:
Road, Off-Road, City/Fixed Gear.

The company has a proprietary patent, and also the materials and technologies used are quite advanced.

What do you think?

Italo

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its clever. I think its a very niche market though, but you've presumably done your research. You need to push the USP to the forefront a bit more - basically the dropouts plus the geometry / clearance. It took me about two thirds of the way down to realise this wasn't just a road frame that takes fat tyres. Not convinced a 1.1kg frame will really be suitable for off roading either, but again I'm sure you've looked into that. Best of luck!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    wasn't this posted a few days ago but then the thread disappeared????
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    t4tomo wrote:
    wasn't this posted a few days ago but then the thread disappeared????
    Another example of even handed moderation?

The dropout solution is quie neat, but the rest is known. I don't know who would want a pretty city bike with which they can go cyclocrossing, though.

1.1kg is fine for off road. That's a silly comment.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    The dropout solution is quie neat, but the rest is known.
    Sliding dropouts aren't new either; I have them on my cross bike (which, like most cross bikes, can be repurposed as off-road bike, road bike or fixie).

I also don't understand why they've invested so much effort on bespoke components (hubs, chainset, bars etc) when there's a huge range of good equipment already on the market. Seems like a solution looking for a problem...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... -bike.html

BikesnobNYC had a few humorous things to say about it. Mostly correct.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/so-fa-so-good-quest-for-perfect-bike.html

BikesnobNYC had a few humorous things to say about it. Mostly correct.

Just read that, LOLZ

He's right though about the name - my eyes keep wanting to insert another letter after FA too, Fapbike was the best.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Hi guy,

thanks again for your comments.

I think BigMat is very right, it's not so easy to understand the innovation until you read all the thread. I'll send this comment to the creator of the project for sure.

1.1 Kg seems to be fine for on off-road, and anyway I think (or I hope) nobody would go downhill with such a bike, it's not its purpose.

I read as well BikeSnob's post. It is quite funny I must say, even if the technical comments are not quite precise.
    In my opinion I find quite interesting the flip-flop hub with internal free wheel where you can use the same cog on both sides. I'm not sure it's unique on the market, did anybody see something like that from some other manufacturer?

I also agree with TGOTB, I don't get the point of crating a new saddle, a new seat post, new levers or even a new BB30 crankset. But I must say that the handlebar has a small but interesting improvement: gives much more space to mount the levers, which is something that I didn't find in any carbon bullhorn handlebar. Did you guys?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Okay - here's my 2 penneth;

As we all know, N+1 is the correct number of bikes to own :-)

As such, I own: A fixie:
    IMG_2391.jpg
    A roadbike:
    IMG_0114.jpg
    A mountainbike:
    IMG_1547.jpg

So, my question is; Why would I want a bike that is flexible? considering the cost of parts and rebuilding time whenever I felt I needed a change? Why not just have another bike? Do I want to have to store all the parts and take the time to convert?

Market:

Planet x already do the swapout dropouts for a range of their own frames, fork end or horizontal dropout:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FSO ... d_swap_out

The rear spacing option is a good idea, but ultimately, you can buy hubs that fit most frames for most purposes and spacer kits are plentiful. Again, the advantage of steel is that you can 'cold set' the frame if you really need to and it has some spring in it!

Already on sale:

Now, my final point is this: There are plenty of frames out on the market that are flexible: Surly 1 x 1 for example, google for some images and you will see a plethora of variations, with hub gears, clip on derailleurs, single speed, fixed and they have huge clearance for a range of tyres and wheel sizes from 24" up to 700c with disk and V brakes.

If I was in need of a flexible bike, tough, street/commute ability and off road ability at a good price; I would go with the Surly 1 x 1 - huge clearance and huge flexibility. There are others on the market now made from alloy as opposed to steel - but I don't remember the names!

The only advantage I can see from your design is weight......Is weight enough of a factor to drag me from my choice of bikes? Not really, no. I am happy with a 7kg fixie and an 8.5kg racing bike and a 9kg mountainbike. The only time I would pay attention to weight is if I was buying a premium racing bike and looking to get into racing again.

Sorry dude, I just don't see a market for it. I see the innovation in making a large clearance, adjustable (spacing) frame from carbon composites......but is that really enough? Had you gone down the route of also being able to use a belt drive or integrated child seat, clip on option on the top tube - my interest would have peaked!!! lets face it, the idea is for the common person, not for the confirmed cyclist - as such it should incorporate as much as possible; clip on baskets/panniers? Integrated lights?

Just thoughts dude, good luck anyhow!
  • Am i really going to faff about changing parts over? I have a carbon roadie and a carbon SS, i just take the one that suits the situation best- this takes no time/ effort at all. Really wouldn't want to be constantly having to dial in gears etc.

With the optional yellow fork/ stay insides, if you squint a bit it looks like a Boardman (this is a BAD thing).

Looks to me like a neat solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Am i really going to faff about changing parts over? I have a carbon roadie and a carbon SS, i just take the one that suits the situation best- this takes no time/ effort at all. Really wouldn't want to be constantly having to dial in gears etc.

With the optional yellow fork/ stay insides, if you squint a bit it looks like a Boardman (this is a BAD thing).

Looks to me like a neat solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

This has already been done by Kinesis. My Decade can be run as a SS or geared... http://road.cc/content/review/6864-kinesis-decade-convert2-fixed
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't see anything here that has not been done before, or in ways that achieve the same result just as easily (and a lot cheaper)

As for offroad, need to be more specific. I wouldn't like to be doing 6 ft drop offs onto rocks on it.
  • ItaloSardo wrote:
    In my opinion I find quite interesting the flip-flop hub with internal free wheel where you can use the same cog on both sides. I'm not sure it's unique on the market, did anybody see something like that from some other manufacturer?
    How much more does this cost than a normal flip flop hub?
    Is it any more efficient.

With a ff hub I can just swap the wheel over, with that I'd need to remove the sprocket and swap that too wouldn't I?
  • @JamesB5446
    Yes sure, you still have to swap the wheel, but you don't need to use an "external" freewheel. Those freewheel are usually very low quality or meant to be for a different use (BMX usually). A road kind of internal freewheel is much smother = less power needed to ride.
    And of course it's also about weight, an external freewheel weights about 200 gr (and costs around $30), and a standard flip flop hub weights around 350 gr (and costs around $50). And it has that stupid thread way to fix the cog.

Basically the difference is:
    - $80, 550 gr, low performances and difficult handling
    - $179, 280gr, higher performances and easier handling

Of course, it's a matter of choice and budget, but the difference looks clear to me.
  • It's just a good idea, i wish you success in every way.
    There are about 1 billion people riding everyday, any innovation is great to hear, keep it up!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Adrakky wrote:
    It's just a good idea, i wish you success in every way.
    There are about 1 billion people riding everyday, any innovation is great to hear, keep it up!
    :roll: :lol:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Looks like a solution looking for a problem sadly to me.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • tgotb
    ItaloSardo wrote:
    Yes sure, you still have to swap the wheel, but you don't need to use an "external" freewheel. Those freewheel are usually very low quality or meant to be for a different use (BMX usually). A road kind of internal freewheel is much smother = less power needed to ride.
    This doesn't make sense to me. While you're pedalling the freewheel is locked-out, so it's not taking any power at all...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Will it be possible to fit L shaped cranks for extra peddling efficiency?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    TGOTB wrote:
    ItaloSardo wrote:
    This doesn't make sense to me. While you're pedalling the freewheel is locked-out, so it's not taking any power at all...

But while you're not pedalling a smoother freewheel creates less resistance thereby resulting in less loss of speed and less input of power to maintain the same average speed. Or something.
  • BigMat wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    ItaloSardo wrote:

But while you're not pedalling a smoother freewheel creates less resistance thereby resulting in less loss of speed and less input of power to maintain the same average speed. Or something.

true but since a cheap freewheel is remarkably low resistance, any gains will be marginal at best.
  • tgotb
    BigMat wrote:
    This is to punish you for being weak and not pedalling...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    will3 wrote:
    Will it be possible to fit L shaped cranks for extra peddling efficiency?
    Yeah, get some of those as well as those especially round wheels that Team GB use.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!