It Has Arrived

Comments

• itboffin wrote:
    .... but you know zipp mmmm

For someone quoting Rule 42 in their sig, you are getting awfully close to a stereotypical triantelope set-up. Cervelo and Zipp? What next? "Aero" water bottles no doubt... :P
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • I notice you've covered up the mudguard and rack mounting points on the rear dropouts. If you've got it, flaunt it.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Looks better in the blue I reckon.

Odd the price slash on these, they look lovely built up. Couldn't trust those stays myself, though ;)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:
    .... but you know zipp mmmm

For someone quoting Rule 42 in their sig, you are getting awfully close to a stereotypical triantelope set-up. Cervelo and Zipp? What next? "Aero" water bottles no doubt... :P

Easy now let's not rush into something we can't pull out from
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    okgo wrote:

Odd the price slash on these, they look lovely built up. Couldn't trust those stays myself, though ;)

I seem to remember from a review that they are mostly there to provide a fixing point for the rear brake, the chainstays doing all the work.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I seem to remember from a review that they are mostly there to provide a fixing point for the rear brake, the chainstays doing all the work.

True dat. Many years ago,after the R3 came out, one of Cervelo's engineers popped up on Slowtwitch and announced that you saw through the seat stays and the bike would be unaffected. Shortly afterwards Gerard Vrooman popped up and said something to the effect of "don't saw thought your frisking seat stays!".
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Fukc me, I thought my parts bin was well stocked. ITB, please mention me in your will.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    After a good look in the box today nice discovered issues

1. No crown race washer by design, so bearings sitting on raw carbon
    2. You need to glue the press fit BB30 bottom bracket
    3. Some sort of metal insert voodoo is needed for the fork

Tomorrow I will be calling the lbs for an estimate
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Is that for an estimate to fix the damage you'll have caused by attempting to DIY?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • The metal sleeve insert for the fork isn't necessary if you want to use an expander opposed to the star nut. That's really for the weight weenies though, I'd rather have the insert for peace of mind.

Make sure the steerer is cut to length first though!
  • itboffin wrote:

Cervelos use the BBRight system, which may need a special adapter to use a BB30 bottom bracket. That adapter isn't generally glue. :lol:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    itboffin wrote:

WTF? No crown race! Glue! Voodoo inserts!! Sounds fishy

What's up with just a normal expander plug thingy and why on Earth would the bearings need to be glued in?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-expander-bung/

I used this Deda expander because it seems to have double the contact area compared to most. Saying that I rode the same bike with one half the size for 6 months with no problems so not exactly sure why I changed it, peace of mind I guess.
  • itboffin
    Well mock me you might but here's some cervelo facts

The fork does indeed not have a crown race spacer its built-in to the carbon - eek
    And yes the glue kit provided is to glue the bbright cups and the metal insert into the forks.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Glue? I Canyon't believe it.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Glue? I Canyon't believe it.

not UHU to.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    itboffin wrote:
    Well mock me you might but here's some cervelo facts

The fork does indeed not have a crown race spacer its built-in to the carbon - eek
    And yes the glue kit provided is to glue the bbright cups and the metal insert into the forks.

built in fork crown race, ok fair enough

But glue on the BB? What do you do when you need to change the bearings? And surely you don't glue that metal fork thing, or have I misread this?

I appreciate that Cervelo have done way more research on these subjects than me, I mean WTF do I know?
  • itboffin
    Its threadlock type stuff
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:

Oh yeah, 'cos that sh1t is reliable. At least we know why Cervelo's are so light. I wonder if the frame'll hold up under your not inconsiderable bulk?

ROFL
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    itboffin wrote:

Oh yeah, 'cos that sh1t is reliable. At least we know why Cervelo's are so light. I wonder if the frame'll hold up under your not inconsiderable bulk?

ROFL

He's going to come to a sticky end.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    itboffin wrote:

ROFL

Puns already? Uhu joker.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

ROFL

Puns already? Uhu joker.

Bzzzzzzzzzzt! Repetition.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    he was clearly stuck for a rebuttal
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    That all sound like a right pain the arrse...
  • Glue puns? Coriordans's 'ad hes i've yet to contribute.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

ROFL

Ah but you wouldnt know what yours is made of seeing as it comes from the LBS ready to ride :wink:

Have you checked that's its actually carbon?
  • Paul E
    Old copies of the Daily Mail and some cow gum is my bet
  • itboffin
    Paul E wrote:
    Old copies of the Daily Mail and some cow gum is my bet

Aye
  • Glue puns? Coriordans's 'ad hes i've yet to contribute.
    At last, a pun-fest with a use for a dead horse which isn't just flogging it.
  • Paul E
    I see no one is sticking with this
  • Paul E wrote:
    I see no one is sticking with this (glue puns) [stic]

To do so might be seen as slightly tacky...
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem