restoring an old mountain bike

Triangle Kebab
Triangle Kebab Posts: 85
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all, not sure if i have posted this in the right section(not sure where else it would go) Im starting to restore my old carrera maxima mountain bike. The frame has some rather nasty gouges in it where i have crashed it on numerous occasions, and also some surface rust. What would be the best way to deal with these issues? also does anybody know where i might be able to find a decal/sticker kit for this bike. Im sure some people may think im crazy for spending out money on a bike made nearly 20 years ago, but it has massive sentimental value to me. I would really like to see it back to its former glory.
Any help appreciated
Si

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    probably the best people to help you may be here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont spend much on it as sorry it really has very little value.

Grapics talk to Halfords as it is one of their brands.

here is an advert for a restored one from a year ago for 40 Pounds.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... cs-only-40

a new paint job if you do it yourself will cost about that if not more and then you need the tools to strip it down.

have a read of Parktools about headsets and BBs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a well used Gary Fisher, I spent a long time using T-cut to clear the rust staining off teh paint, then I used a few layers of car polish over the rust and it hasn't got any worse since, doubt you'll get a graphics kit!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One of the Retrobike guys does custom transfer kits to your design - can't remember his username but ask around and someone will.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools