Cycling in a group

willow71uk
willow71uk Posts: 114
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Does anyone know of any websites or books were you can read about riding in a group. For example the warning signals/sayings for potholes or cars coming etc. And yes before anyone says it i have tried google just not sure what to search for. I have been out on a few club rides but still need some research into this.

Comments

• I googled "cycling in a group hand signals" and there were loads of hits. I don't really know enough to evaluate their accuracy, though there was a BikeRadar article close to the top of the list.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    willow71uk wrote:
    Does anyone know of any websites or books were you can read about riding in a group. For example the warning signals/sayings for potholes or cars coming etc. And yes before anyone says it i have tried google just not sure what to search for. I have been out on a few club rides but still need some research into this.

This is a good read

http://www.ilkleycyclingclub.org.uk/upl ... %20ctc.pdf
  • You're better off going on your first group ride and getting firsthand experience rather than reading about it on the web. Some groups have different saying for calling out a car coming up from behind or heading towards the group. Some call out the hole as ‘hole right’, some call out ‘right’ and some just stick their arm out.

I didn’t have a clue on my first ride, I just got on the back and took it all in. If it’s a good club they’ll show you what to do before heading out.

[edit] I see this isn't your first group ride - so why do you need to read up about it?
  • Cheers LegendLust. thegreatdivide the club has 4 groups and i think the one i went with are a bit lazy at shouting warnings etc. I'm going with a different group Sunday and i hear they are more efficient at warnings.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    You will only need a few miles with a club to understand what you have to do. Its quite easy, and the signals are pretty much commen sense. Its only a little tricky when in a pace line at speed all tucked in to the wheel in front, then you have to be switched on.
  • LegendLust
    saprkzz wrote:
    You will only need a few miles with a club to understand what you have to do. Its quite easy, and the signals are pretty much commen sense. Its only a little tricky when in a pace line at speed all tucked in to the wheel in front, then you have to be switched on.

Oh dear another Americanism invades our shores
  • willow71uk wrote:
    Cheers LegendLust. thegreatdivide the club has 4 groups and i think the one i went with are a bit lazy at shouting warnings etc. I'm going with a different group Sunday and i hear they are more efficient at warnings.

You definitely get good groups and bad when it comes to calling out hazards. There are particular individuals in our club that drive me nuts. Then again there’s one guy I ride with that calls out everything – he looks like he’s trying to guide a plane in! I’m more of a shouter myself.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Our lot use 'Oil up' or 'Oil down' for car behind or in front (up your a%$e, down your throat I guess)... took me a while to work out what they were saying, even though the meaning was clear.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Our lot use 'Oil up' or 'Oil down' for car behind or in front (up your a%$e, down your throat I guess)... took me a while to work out what they were saying, even though the meaning was clear.
    OMG , you're not in Kent are you - it used to drive me mad, some nerdish comment trying to be clever about 'oil' - when most of them get it wrong half the time - defeating the object of passing a warning, for the sake of making a statement
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    OMG , you're not in Kent are you - it used to drive me mad, some nerdish comment trying to be clever about 'oil' - when most of them get it wrong half the time - defeating the object of passing a warning, for the sake of making a statement
    Or was it Yorkshire, and they were in fact referring to road defects?
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • LegendLust
    MarkP80 wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Or was it Yorkshire, and they were in fact referring to road defects?

:lol:
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    LegendLust wrote:
    saprkzz wrote:

Oh dear another Americanism invades our shores

so sorry old chap.. I do believe I have been to the US of A three times when I was a teenager, I must of picked it up then.
  • I was in WHSmith news agents the other day at the airport and in the bike magazine section they had a book called 'The ultimate guide to Cycle Training' by MAGBOOK written by Guy Andrews & Simon Doughty. It has a section all about riding in a group including shouted and hand signals, seems to explain everthing you need to know.
    Hope this helps.