The Great Rapha Roll Swindle

2»

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I have only one item of Rapha which is a merino hat and it is a thing of loveliness. Despite being unbelievably thin it is windproof and reversible. Black on one side and orange on the other meaning that I can go full tart on the fixie with the deep dish orange rims.

It was, however, stupidly expensive for a wooly hat.

And worth every penny!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I was rocking this accesory the other day, matched the accents in my jersey, really amused me

photo21.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I have a few rapha items (would like more) as it is very good , it fits well , functions well , looks good , would love it more if i went faster wearing it but unlikely to say the least.
    Is it a fashion thing , yes , do they sponsor a team and put things back into cycling , yes , is it expensive , yes , will I be buying more , hopefully !!
    I also have assos shorts which are superb and some cheap jerseys for the turbo , wearing under a jacket or when I have run out ....fingers crossed the fat fella in the red suit brings me some more ( not been subtle with hints ) or that a sale starts again soon.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    DrLex wrote:
    I've never seen any Rapha kit - it's banned north of Perth for being "soft southern nancy wear" :wink:
    Yet you're happy to dress like Travis out of Blake's 7 in Assos?

:wink:

Absolutely 8) 8) 8)

Funnily enough, whilst you do see people in Assos up here, I've never yet seen anybody in Rapha. I think that's possibly because Assos is almost totally about function whereas Rapha has a definite nod to style. I'm not knocking it - if I still lived in Cambridge, I might be tempted but a pink shoulder bag in the Highlands would be like - well, the time I ordered a Pimms up here - the bottle was behind the bar but no one knew what it was...
    My PhD supervisor was a Scot. He once told me of when Burger King first came to Fife. Rather than be heard ordering a "whopper", people used to just point and say, "I whan one'o they"
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    On a related note, the 20% discount code for Rapha seems to have expired, much to my annoyance. Was just about to pull the trigger on a winter jersey.

Try Torm, quality is easily as good but less than half the price.
    On the T5 Jersey you get 2 arm loops too. This must make them even better value! :lol:

In Sportwool terms, TORM is exactly the same fabric as Rapha with the same build quality but far more reasonable prices.

If you want to buy Rapha then fine, if you want the same type quality (in Smartwool Jerseys) but are not bothered about it being branded Rapha then Torm is an option or if you don't want to spend that type of money on cycling kit then other options are available. Choice is a very personal thing unique to individuals, sheep would love the options available to us humans.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Coach H
    mroli wrote:
    Unless Assos girl came and sold them to me.

Look up Cippolini girl, now I'd buy anything off her! :D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Coach H wrote:
    On a related note, the 20% discount code for Rapha seems to have expired, much to my annoyance. Was just about to pull the trigger on a winter jersey.

Try Torm, quality is easily as good but less than half the price.
    On the T5 Jersey you get 2 arm loops too. This must make them even better value! :lol:

In Sportwool terms, TORM is exactly the same fabric as Rapha with the same build quality but far more reasonable prices.

If you want to buy Rapha then fine, if you want the same type quality (in Smartwool Jerseys) but are not bothered about it being branded Rapha then Torm is an option or if you don't want to spend that type of money on cycling kit then other options are available. Choice is a very personal thing unique to individuals, sheep would love the options available to us humans.
    Sorry but I have both and they are not the same.
    Torm is undoubtably better value for money but the Rapha version is slightly better quality.
    If you are on a budget or just generally like value for money then buy Torm. If you want a splurge treat then go for the Rapha. The fit is better, the weave tighter and it just feels 10% better but it does cost 100% more. You decide, but they are not the same.
    Back on subject - Torm don't do a version of the winter jersey.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Coach H
    daviesee wrote:
    Sorry but I have both and they are not the same.
    Torm is undoubtably better value for money but the Rapha version is slightly better quality.
    If you are on a budget or just generally like value for money then buy Torm. If you want a splurge treat then go for the Rapha. The fit is better, the weave tighter and it just feels 10% better but it does cost 100% more. You decide, but they are not the same.
    Back on subject - Torm don't do a version of the winter jersey.

Interesting as this is not my experience as I also have both. I have to say my Torm T4 and T5 are pretty much identical quality to my Club and Long Sleeve jerseys. I certainly cannot tell the difference.

Bacl on subject - You are right Torm does not do a version of the Winter Jersey. Bad comparrison on my part, but it was late (ish) :wink:
  • I saw some plum buying an Armani suit the other day. Tapped him on the shoulder and pointed him in the direction of this - http://direct.asda.com/george/mens-suit ... lt,pd.html
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    I saw some plum buying an Armani suit the other day. Tapped him on the shoulder and pointed him in the direction of this - http://direct.asda.com/george/mens-suit ... lt,pd.html

You pointed him in the wrong direction - should have sent him here http://www.h-huntsman.com/
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Wore a Rapha Winter Jersey this morning. What a brilliant bit of kit. I reckon with a merino base underneath I'd be good down to freezing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • daviesee
    Asprilla wrote:
    Wore a Rapha Winter Jersey this morning. What a brilliant bit of kit. I reckon with a merino base underneath I'd be good down to freezing.
    Assuming you mean a long sleeve base layer, you'd be right. :P
    The arms don't have a wind block layer so IMHO you need long sleeves underneath for below 5 degrees.
    Nice that you can wear it from zero then open the vents as it gets warmer up to around 10 degrees. It gets a bit warm above that if cycling with effort.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    daviesee wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Assuming you mean a long sleeve base layer, you'd be right. :P
    The arms don't have a wind block layer so IMHO you need long sleeves underneath for below 5 degrees.
    Nice that you can wear it from zero then open the vents as it gets warmer up to around 10 degrees. It gets a bit warm above that if cycling with effort.

I've worn it at just above freezing with no more than a sleeveless Prendas baselayer underneath and was toasty warm. Fabulous bit of kit.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i want lots of rapha kit :(

maybe i'll ask for some for xmas/with my xmas bonus
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    On this - the sale that happens right after xmas is a bit hit and miss - but you can get some great stuff then...
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I do like Torm kit, but have had problems with the stitching. I can tell the difference between the two. Whether or not Rapha is worth the extra I guess is down to the individual to decide...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • I have the very same jacket in OP. Fits brilliantly, breathable, its a bright colour and not hi viz yellow, and is a lot more waterproof than you might imagine as proved on a very wet and windy ride round RP with WrathRob. And I like pink. A lot. :oops:
    I'll fess up that I'm a sucker for their marketing, but I can't fault my Rapha bibs or jerseys that I have bought from a warmth / wicking / fit perspective.
    BMC SLC01 Cosmic Carbones
    Giant TCR2 Composite
    98 GT Zaskar LE
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/170436
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Now this jacket costs £165. One hundred and sixty five frigging quid for what is effectively a pink school girls anorak, the sort my 9 year daughter would love.

I see your £165 and I raise you £459 :)

P_468_468_5002111180.jpg

http://www.norrona.com/Products/5002-11 ... o-jacket-m
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Pink Bar tape:

IMG_0114.jpg

Pink and Blue lug cutouts:

IMG_0118.jpg

I tried to go down the 'Rapha' look with my Aende frame, recently built.

I am a man..... :shock:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Just bought one of their Country Jerseys - the medium fits like I had it tailored!

Got my eye on the Classic Softshell or Brevet for Christmas, but the Brevet is out of stock until February.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • For such pricey kit, the stocks of Rapha aren't great. Persuaded a friend that the lady's pink gilet would be great - lo and behold no effing stock even at Rapha - not clever especially in the cold season and the run up to Xmas
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    You could try phoning Condor/the Rapha store and see if they've got any left in stock...
  • daviesee
    mroli wrote:
    You could try phoning Condor/the Rapha store and see if they've got any left in stock...
    Or try Ronde in Edinburgh. I think they would do postal orders.